Quick Blackfish Session

kingpig

After some drama yesterday morning with batteries, I got to put my boat in the water, at River Road about 11am.

We cruised down to the Moons. By the time I got my boat anchored the run out tide had began to slow up.

After sending down a conciderable amount of berly and rigging gear I finally got fishing at about 12.

Between then and when the tide stopped at about 2, I got 6 blackfish. All good size but a couple of really classy ones around the 35cm mark.

I have not fished like this for blackfish for a few years, and I had forgotten how relaxing this can be, the wind was a bit difficult. It was good to see that I can still do it if I want to.

Cheers

Kingpig

Well done Kingpig! Top session! The bigger ones would have given you stick! Just smoked a bunch up & made 4 Smoked Fish Pies! Yum!!

Keep it up - you'll be addicted very soon! :)

Roberta

Hey Kingpig,

Nice work on the blackfish. Nice days to be out relaxing in the boat.

Quick question, har far is the moons from the boat ramp. I saw a couple of blokes fishing a couple of months ago at the end of the national park down stream. Is that the moons?

Cheers Jed.

The Moons is opposite Bakers Rock where the bend in the river is and there is the big sandbar its on the Illawong side you have Big Moon and little Moon and in big Moon you have Big Moon Point, Red Gum and Three Oaks. Confused? these are the individual spots in Big moon Bay that produce in the day you would see up to 30 or 40 boats when there was a big run of fish in the Moons. I was brought up fishing that river and theres a lot of spots forgotten now you never see boats at One Tree Point now or at Blackguard. Also a lot of spots have bee nruined by pontoons you cannot get the drift over the reef/ structure etc what you do is anchor up or down of a structure and get the drift over it can do this in places The Bonnet is a prime example.

Edited by luderick -angler

The Moons is opposite Bakers Rock where the bend in the river is and there is the big sandbar its on the Illawong side you have Big Moon and little Moon and in big Moon you have Big Moon Point, Red Gum and Three Oaks. Confused? these are the individual spots in Big moon Bay that produce in the day you would see up to 30 or 40 boats when there was a big run of fish in the Moons. I was brought up fishing that river and theres a lot of spots forgotten now you never see boats at One Tree Point now or at Blackguard. Also a lot of spots have bee nruined by pontoons you cannot get the drift over the reef/ structure etc what you do is anchor up or down of a structure and get the drift over it can do this in places The Bonnet is a prime example.

Confused, I'll read it several times, and probably still not know where these spots are. Appreciate the info though. Bend in the river hey?? Shouldn't be too hard to find???

Cheers Jed.

From the boat ramp at River Road head left go under the bridge at Alfords Point and then past the entrance to salt Pan incidently a top spot on the run in then go underthe wires go spot on the out thats Russell Jones, follow the shore alonfg Soily Bottom one of the deepest spots in the river try this on the run in can fish up to 3o foot deep in places here! and Soily Bottom Pt viola you should see a big sandbank on the right of it is big Moon dead ahead and if your careful take the shortcut thry the blind channel andyour on bakers itd on the point before you hit the boatsheds heading up to the marina at lugarno

hope thats better info