New In Sydney

Gid

Hy you guys,I have you some few dumbs questions,and sorry for the new topic.I am new in Sydney,so :) can anyone can advise where I could have flyfishing at this time of the year?(At the moment I live in Parramata) I am from different continent so I dont know here a lot.

Gid

Its really doesn't matter I think it would be interesting and salt and fresh ;) maybe does anybody know something about Parramatta river?is ir possible to catch there?Also I would like to try some trout waters?any sugestions?

Parramatta river has some good fly spots (if not all that glamorous). Above the first wier (where the ferry stops in Parramatta), you can sight fish for big carp it that's your thing... passes the time anyway. Below the weir there's some open areas where you've got a good chance at some bream.

In the salt water, Hen & Chicken Bay or Iron Cove are great spots to catch plenty of flathead & bream shore based... just don't eat them. If you want a beaut spot for munchable Flathead try Patonga Creek on the central coast or some of the shallows around Botany Bay.

Out on the harbour the Salmon are due to turn up in numbers soon... a few patches have been reported already. Fly fishing for them is a blast... try to go out on a weekday though as it can get like Pitt Street at North Head when they're on.

Cheers, Slinky

mate plenty of fishing to be done in the parra river targeting bream and flathead plus many more

if your looking for fresh water the nepean river is half hour drive from parra targeting bass,carp and mullet

for trout your looking at roughly just under a 2hour drive to get to lithgow there you have lake lyell,lake wallace and thompson creek dam all full of trout and from wat im hearing at the moment the fly gear is doing the job

if your interested in a session in a cpl of weeks just give me a buzz

mick

Whoww ,guys thank you for that realy great and fast information,your are realy nice.Maybe can tell what kind of flies use to dominate for breams of carps?I feel that I will go tommorow to make some casts,maybe some fish will get hooked.

Whoww ,guys thank you for that realy great and fast information,your are realy nice.Maybe can tell what kind of flies use to dominate for breams of carps?I feel that I will go tommorow to make some casts,maybe some fish will get hooked.

Iron Cove is not fly friendly from the shore on the most part due to the close proximity to the jog/cycle path, but if you can wade out it's a different story. However in winter it's not advised. The place has been slow of late, your best bet is in Botany Bay. I have not heard good reports from the harbour as of late.

Parramatta River is a good spot in summer, but don't eat anything, especially bream, whiting and mullet and the likes as the fish there are toxic due to the very high levels of pollution. However sporting wise it's fine.

You could use bread flies on mullet if you can find them. They go hard on the 4wt! But like I said, don't eat them as they literally eat the shit and scunge on the surface.

Edited by SAfisho

A hairy brown nymph in about size 10 or 12 will account for plenty of carp. Just make sure it's not weighted so that it hovers in front of them or sinks really slowly.

For bream flies you're best bet is to go into a shop and have a look at the range of 'bream files'. Basically a smaller version of any good bass fly is a good starting point (including small surface flies).

What SAfisho said about Iron Cove not being fly friendly is good advice. At low tide you'll have plenty of room but fishing from the roadside is likely to catch you a cyclist or jogger... although in summer there can be additional visual benefits :1naughty:

Cheers, Slinky

Edited by slinkymalinky

hey gid i'll take you boat fishing if you teach me the basics off fly fishing :biggrin2:

i live local to parra and we put the boat in at whalf road ermington[5 mins. from parra]

i feel you need to hook a kingy on 6lb in the harbor to really get to know sydney fishing :1yikes:

anyway the fishing will pick up soon come on spring

cherrs gary

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

These long weekend I am going to spend in Blue Mountains.I am planning to travel from Jenolan Caves to Wombeyan Caves.I know there is some beautiful look out and other views, but I am thinking to have some flyfishing if its possible.Can anybody advise which waters should I try?and if its any opportunity to have any fish at all? :biggrin2:

Thanks,

Gid

hey gid i'll take you boat fishing if you teach me the basics off fly fishing :biggrin2:

i live local to parra and we put the boat in at whalf road ermington[5 mins. from parra]

i feel you need to hook a kingy on 6lb in the harbor to really get to know sydney fishing :1yikes:

anyway the fishing will pick up soon come on spring

cherrs gary

:dito: to that but ill put you onto a jew, for some reason i cant catch kings :ranting2:

when you go up the mountains check out lake oberon or lake lyle and if it has water in it, the cox's river

if you decide to go to lyle send me a pm and ill give you a good land based spot.

where are you from? you might be disappointed with nsw trout fishing

take a jacket :frozen:

Edited by CaineS

Last day I walked along the Parramatta river with the flyfishing rod.I saw a lot of carps, but they didnt pay attention to my flies :mad3: Does any have any suggestions? Also I saw a lot to fishes in Parramtta Park jumping from water, but I dont know what king of fish there can be.Maybe it is also carps?I tried to cast in there but also with no results :1badmood:

Gid

Edited by Gid