Beach Fishing

drew boy

hello fellow raiders,well i caught my first salmon for the year down at long reef beach on monday night.got there at about 430pm .hight tide was at 445pm .was there for about 10 minutes and had a big hit and was on.took about 5 minutes to bring in after several large runs.just the one but kept loosing baits so i was stocked.have not had a fish for a while so makes up for all the times i have not got anyand to prove to my family that i know what im doing all the best drew boy

Well done Drew

It is really exciting when you hook into a salmon - there is always the chance it may be something better too! :) :) Fromt the length of the fight, he sounds like he was a good sized one.

Did you take it home to eat? The smaller ones smoke up beautifully & if 'scallopped' into thinner bits, the larger ones, coated in breadcrumbs & lightly fried, are not bad either! They make good fish rissoles too.

Cheerio

Roberta

Well done, sounds like it would have been a bit of fun.

They are a great sport fish.

I personally do not mind them. I feel that people who do not appreciate them do not know how to cook them.

Just wondering if you seen the famous salmon schools while out there?

P.S. Garlic, lemon juice, tomato juice, both fresh and ground corriander.

G'day Andrewc, good work on the salmon, they are hard fighters, often when you hook 'em they throw in some mighty leaps to try and free themselves.. Should cook up okay , make fillets , cut out the red bloody bit , soak them in some coconut milk , then dry them off , a light beer batter, a quick shallow fry and whooshka , a lovely chunk of Aussie Salmon for all to enjoy.. Cheers..

i actually caught the salmon on apatternose rig and caught it on a pichard tail with a half hitch,and yes went home and had for dinner,with adill and corriander sauce.am going to give it another crack this afternoon.was a bit dissapointed because i have just bougt a new alvey and was hoping to get hit with that so will keep trying.thanks for the replies and tips on how to cook drew boy