Whats Long, Silver, Aggressive And Lives Under Sydney Marinas?

Kit

The other night I was jigging for squid along a floating platform at a marina.

I was on the phone so my squid jig was just dangling in the water about 2ft deep.

I was looking down and then suddenly a long silver fish dashed out from under the platform, smashed my jig and then dashed back under!

I was so shocked!

Here is my description of the fish, I don't know what it was cos it was so fast that I couldn't see it properly.

It was around 40cm long, silver.

VERY fast!

Had largish scales and looked like a whiting (not smooth skinned) and there was a slight purplish tinge as the light reflected off the fish.

the jig I was using was an Orange Natural Yamashita 1.8 with Ultrabite.

My guess is that it could have been a pike, but the smooth cloth on my jig was undamaged, and pike have really sharp teeth.

My subsequent attempts to lure it out with a soft plastic failed.

Any guesses as to what fish this could have been???

Interesting guys..

I wouldn't have thought it was a jewie cos this fish was so fast.. but it did have a purple tinge...

Then again it did hit the squid jig like a T.

Wouldn't it be funny if it was a jew and I hooked it?! :1prop:

whats a collins class mulloway?? :tease:

Collins Class

The first Australian built submarine that was supposed to be Worlds Best. It was a total failure with Electronics that didn't work (hence the gag), a noisy unreliable diesel motor (was supposed to be silent) etc etc. ADF spent another 1/2 billion on it(citation needed) and have already planned to scrap it by 2025. A military disaster of French proportions :074::074:

The other night I was jigging for squid along a floating platform at a marina.

I was on the phone so my squid jig was just dangling in the water about 2ft deep.

I was looking down and then suddenly a long silver fish dashed out from under the platform, smashed my jig and then dashed back under!

I was so shocked!

It was around 40cm long, silver.

VERY fast!

Had largish scales and looked like a whiting (not smooth skinned) and there was a slight purplish tinge as the light reflected off the fish.

My guess is that it could have been a pike, but the smooth cloth on my jig was undamaged, and pike have really sharp teeth.

Any guesses as to what fish this could have been???

The King Gar has a very elongate, compressed body. The toothless upper and lower jaws are greatly elongated. There is a single short-based dorsal fin positioned posteriorly on the body. This is followed by five or six detached finlets.

This species is dark blue, greenish or brown above and silvery white below. There is a broad silver stripe along the sides of the body. The finlets and caudal fin are blue. There is a dark blue or green spot on the pectoral fin bases.

It grows to 45 cm in length.

The King Gar is a pelagic species that occurs in temperate marine waters worldwide.

In Australia it is known from the central coast of New South Wales, around the south of the country, and north to south-western Western Australia.

The King Gar has a very elongate, compressed body. The toothless upper and lower jaws are greatly elongated. There is a single short-based dorsal fin positioned posteriorly on the body. This is followed by five or six detached finlets.

This species is dark blue, greenish or brown above and silvery white below. There is a broad silver stripe along the sides of the body. The finlets and caudal fin are blue. There is a dark blue or green spot on the pectoral fin bases.

It grows to 45 cm in length.

The King Gar is a pelagic species that occurs in temperate marine waters worldwide.

In Australia it is known from the central coast of New South Wales, around the south of the country, and north to south-western Western Australia.

nice detective work mate you are probly on the money..... could have been a baby hairtail :1prop:

Jack

Collins Class

The first Australian built submarine that was supposed to be Worlds Best. It was a total failure with Electronics that didn't work (hence the gag), a noisy unreliable diesel motor (was supposed to be silent) etc etc. ADF spent another 1/2 billion on it(citation needed) and have already planned to scrap it by 2025. A military disaster of French proportions :074::074:

Sad to say the biggest problem with the Collins class is it was built in Australia (if you include Adelaide in Australia). We hadnt built subs before in Oz and stuggled with the technology. The electronics werent a total failure but due to the long time lag between starting construction and commissioning the computers were obsolete. The boats were noisy at first but once the US allowed us acces to their technology this was fixed, essentially it was just a prop change.

If I remember correctly they were fixed up and then sent out on trials against a yank sub and performed perfectly. As for being scrapped by 2025 the first one came out in about 1995 or 96 so that will make them 30yrs old. Given the life span of most US,Brit and French subs and ships this is close to the norm.

As for the rogue fish that attacked the jig from under a wharf it could have been anything. You said you were on the phone and the fish darted in and out quite quickly so I am guessing a perfect look at it may have been hard. Pike, Gar, Mullet, Tailor all similar(ish) shapes and colours. Go back with bread and prawns and see if you can get a real close look i.e. in your net.

Dave

I was looking over a warf at the shallow water as me and a friend where having a bite to eat, not fishing at the time, and we both got a shock of a lifetime, :wacko:

a huge jewie swam past us, right under our noses.

Made sence, plenty of small mullet around that we saw shortly before hand.....

I ran to the car, and about half way there reality kicked in, :ranting2:

I usualy have a rod and a small fishing pack full of lures in my wagon, and realised we came with his car :ranting2:

:05: