Re Powering..need Help

Central coast Mariner

I have to repower my boat, which is a 5.4mtr pride Gazelle (pic attached).

The previous engine, a 1995 model 135hp mariner, has Thrown a piston end and is going to cost around 5k to rebuild. I Love the hull, so I have decided to repower with a new engine. sounded simple enough!

I am considering optimax at the moment, but I am unsure if I will get the same speed and power from a new 115 opti, that I did out of my older 135?

I dont want to run the risk of being underpowered either.. Would I be better to get the 135opti?

I know the 115 is also a 3cly, wheras I always had a V6 135 on there. But there is a decent price jump between the 115 and135 opti.

I was recommeded buying a new Merc EFI V6 135... but would I just be buying old technology with bad resale value...

I think I know the answers but I would like to hear some opinions that arent from the sales rep.

post-8429-1220269039_thumb.jpg

Hi Mate,

The 115 optimax is a nice engine, but will certainly feel underpowered compared to the 135 V6 you had. It will probably perform acceptably well on the 5.4m hull for general running about and fishing duties, but it will be under cooked if you decide you want to pull the kids around during summer.

I have a 115hp EFI four stroke 4cyl on my 5.5m seafarer and it gets me around 35kn on calm water, which is plenty fast, but with a boat FULL of 5 people it does struggle a little.

If the option is there DEFINATELY go the 135hp optimax, they are an awesome engine, probably the best 135hp option around at the moment, it will hold value and make the boat somewhat more attactive to sell if you decide to upsize your rig late on.

Hi and welcome to Fishraider. As stated you will not like the performance of the 115HP OPTI compared to the torque of the V6 135HP you have been running. Even though one is a DI engine and the other is a carby engine, you can not compare the two because they are both 2-Strokes and a V6 will also perform better than the 3 cylinder OPTI, but the OPTI will use less fuel and be nicer to live with.

If you have decided on the Merc engine, the 135HP would be my choice also, yes it will cost more than 150HP EFI V6, but pay for itself in the long run with fuel saving and resale.

PM me if you would like the Raider price on your engine options,

Cheers,

Huey.

Yeah I thought the 115 would leave me wanting.

Im not really locked in on the optimax, I just like them.

How do other brands compare on price and quality in the 135?

Hi, all brands today are good and you will always get personal preferences. What is most important is the experience of the dealer, because outboards of every brand, being human made and mechanical, can have issues from time to time and your dealer can play a big part in how you enjoy your rare spare time out on the boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

go the 135 for sure

any of the new tech engines will pay for them selves in no time

cheers arman

Yes !! I Recommened The 130 Hp E-Tec ... Yeahh There A Little Dearer ... But You Dont Have Too Get A Service For The First 3 Years Or 300 Hours What Ever Comes First ... Trust Me That Will Save You Around 1 Grand If Not Moree !! ... Plus They Are Better On Fuel .. Quieter ... And START FIRST GO EVERY GO !! Even On Cold Mornings Where You Couldd Be Sitting Down The Ramps For Ages Trying To Start Your Normal 2 Stroke .... mmmmm They Have My Vote !!

Huey Stockks Them Too ... I Recommened You Send Him A PM .... He Will Give You A Great Price On One !!!!