Fishing Port Stephens/nelson Bay

Shnappahead

Hi guys,

We're heading up to Port Stephens in about 3 weeks & wondered if anyone could give me some good spots to try out...beach/rocks & offshore.

I've heard just off Fingal Bay or up near Broughton Island are good spots offshore, but any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

Adz.

Make sure you get a proper map of the new marine zones, they patrolled it pretty heavy when we were there in Feb, luckily the guys who moved us along were pretty cool & told us the map we had been given at the tackle shop was incorrect. They gave us one which showed the zones better. Looked to me like there were quite a few ignoring the zones, that little patrol boat was very busy LOL

We managed to get to Broughton one day but it was too rough to stand up in the boat so we headed for calmer waters, I will return there one day.

We didn't do too well on the table fish front, complete novices but hey we had fun. One area that we seemed to have to our selves was the wall just along the south head. You gotta stay vigilent how close you get to the rocks, dop a drift without fishing first & see what its like.

We constantly got smashed by what we assumed were big snapper, massive head shakes & then reef! Using 5" & 7" jerk shads.

post-3284-1220404375_thumb.jpg

Good luck its a great place to fish with hundreds of opportunitys and locations.

Hi guys,

I've heard just off Fingal Bay or up near Broughton Island are good spots offshore, but any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

Adz.

If the weather is Ok will be heading to PS next week.

The two locations you mentioned are a good start. If a southerly is blowing the northern side of the Fingle North headland can be productive.

The other spot on a good day is the Eastern side of the island directly out from heads

Geoff