Missingtacklephobia

slinkymalinky

I've realised I have another fishing related health problem. I have an irrational fear of being on the water and finding I don't have 'that exact item of tackle' with me that I need. You know the drill... you're chasing bream and a school of Bonito blow up all around you and you don't have any lures with you. :1badmood:

Symptoms include:

- my boat looking like a porcupine every time I go out because there are so many rods on board

- a tackle bag that seems to grow over time (I just bought a bigger one yesterday, which made me realise I have this problem)

- a tackle bag that contains gear for nearly every kind of fishing on the planet... even if you're just flicking a few soft plastics for flathead.

- a lure collection that resembles a supermarket (what if they're only taking deep-diving, 7cm, white, left-handed lures???)

- Having more soft plastics with you than you could use up if allowed to fish in Sea World for a week.

- a crook back from lugging 47kg of sinkers and jig heads everywhere you go.

- a spool of every breaking strain of leader material from 2lb to 300lb (you never know when a Marlin will appear in Middle Harbour!!)

- a smoking debit card

- being offered home delivery by your tackle shop.

Does anyone else out there plan there tackle requirements based on a terror of not having what you need whenever you go out?

Cheers, Slinky

I know the pain all too well...

Especially when you got a 3km walk to some spots, and there is no way your gonna do it in 2 trips....

Worst part is a real quiet day, tonnes of gear for not much anything...

Still better to be overprepared then under ;)

That Marlin in Middle Harbour might come through for a swim one day :tease:

Cheers

Ben

Oooooohhh yeaah. All too well.

Especially lures!

I've tried to curb the problem by doing two things

1. Have only a small tackle box and not allowing more lures than what can fit in these compartments.

2. Going by my clothes rule - If I haven't used (or worn) an item in 12-18 months, it goes to Vinnies or into the "spare" tackle draws at home.

I don't like fishing in other peoples boats, when we are in mine I can take as much stuff as I like!

I use shopping baskets as my tackle bags at the moment. I walk into my tackle room pull things off the shelves and place them into my basket. WHen I get back home I just unpack each basket back onto the shelves. This system works well when you fish on a boat that everything is stored under hatches in the floor. The baskets fit perfectly and fit 4 Plano boxes plus leader wallets and don't retain water.

Only problem now is I'm starting to take 2 baskets each time I go fishing....

G

At the moment i tend to stick by the rule "only take what you MIGHT need". So if im fishing the bay for bream and of course there is always the possibility that ANYTHING could happen this will include:

bream bait and sp rods,

squidding rods and jigs,

rod for catching livies,

kingfish rods (both for live bait and sp), jigs and sluggos,

jewie rods,

on the chance we might go outside- bottom bashing rods and bag of skirts, leader and crimping gear.

Big net, small net and gaff

tackle box, tackle bag and sp bag

and just in case the conditions are ok you need cray diving gear

That's not excessive for a quick bream session is it?

Sure it gets difficult keeping the box trailer afloat behind the boat and trying to untangle lines when your livey swims around one of the tyres, but it's still less painfull than deciding what gear to leave at home.

I am guilty of the same

go to target 1 species but take 5-7 rods :074::074:

Also take all the gear in tackle boxes out which i do not even use on that trip.

But i would hate to leave it at home if i need that box.

mmmmmmmmm thought to self, that,s why the boat top speed has dropped over the last year :biggrin2:

the extra 150kg in it

OOH yeah, so it's not just me as my fishing companion suggests to me each trip!

We installed 8 rod holders(storage) and laughed saying we'll never fill them up.... that was five months ago and last weekend trip saw 9 rods on board..for two fishermen. we generally use the all though in a session at different times.

My tackle bag gives my chiropractor something to do each month, but at least I don't have to plan too much, just grab the bag and go.

Dave

I've realised I have another fishing related health problem. I have an irrational fear of being on the water and finding I don't have 'that exact item of tackle' with me that I need. You know the drill... you're chasing bream and a school of Bonito blow up all around you and you don't have any lures with you. :1badmood:

Symptoms include:

- my boat looking like a porcupine every time I go out because there are so many rods on board

- a tackle bag that seems to grow over time (I just bought a bigger one yesterday, which made me realise I have this problem)

- a tackle bag that contains gear for nearly every kind of fishing on the planet... even if you're just flicking a few soft plastics for flathead.

- a lure collection that resembles a supermarket (what if they're only taking deep-diving, 7cm, white, left-handed lures???)

- Having more soft plastics with you than you could use up if allowed to fish in Sea World for a week.

- a crook back from lugging 47kg of sinkers and jig heads everywhere you go.

- a spool of every breaking strain of leader material from 2lb to 300lb (you never know when a Marlin will appear in Middle Harbour!!)

- a smoking debit card

- being offered home delivery by your tackle shop.

Does anyone else out there plan there tackle requirements based on a terror of not having what you need whenever you go out?

Cheers, Slinky

mate its easy just buy a bigger boat :1prop: