Growing My Weed

Juzza

Iv had my 600L fresh water fish tank (in the wall) for about over 5 months now and found some stringy weed recently growing around some of my plants. The weed is really really thin and stringy and clumps together wonderfully. it looks like it will hold out well on the hook!!!

Firstly i took the weed and tied it to some wood that reaches the surface, so that it is directly under my lights. So, how am i growing it...? It is right under a 150W metal halide, really strong eheim pump, pressurised CO2 + weekly water changes (1/4 tank).

So heres the weed right now, about 8cm long and almost ready to go on the hook...dont think this is economic to grow, Id rather pick it off the rocks. Would be quite interesting if i caught a blackie on it =D

Anyway heres some more pictures of my tank for you all to enjoy!

post-6561-1220526753_thumb.jpg

post-6561-1220527106_thumb.jpg

post-6561-1220527572_thumb.jpg

Justin :1fishing1:

So, whats a fish tank without FISH?!

Heres just 2 of the species im keeping, and NO, i am not growing/breeding my own live bait =D. In the first picture it is called a congo tetra originating from africa and growing to about 3 inches, its got pretty colours especially while its in 'breeding mood' (Oh, did i mention the perfect size and colours as a soft plastic and the best 'action' . Second picture is called a red line torpedo barb, originating from the fast flowing streams of india, they grow to 30+ but mine dont seem to be growing fast at all.

Just to show you another ones of my passions besides fishing.

post-6561-1220528172_thumb.jpg

post-6561-1220528219_thumb.jpg

Side view of tank post-6561-1220528740_thumb.jpg

Edited by Juzza

Good on you Justin - hope you catch on it!!! I have heard more of folk living on tidal SW areas making ditches for the tide to ebb & flow over weed covered rocks/branches, to encourage growth! Some try to 'hide' weed growing rocks, but inevitably, either fish or other fishos find it & either eat it or nick it! :(

CHeerio

Roberta

ps no wonder my gold fish died ...... they were in a round bowl! That was it!

Hi Juzza

Great tank set up you have got. What a great idea growing your own weed but I would do a bit of research on it before putting any on a hook or flushing it down the toilet when changing the water. You dont know if it is a naitive or an introduced species. If it is introduced and grows so well in your tank, imagine what it could do if let loose in the wild with all those nutrients in urban run off feeding it. We have enough noxious flora and fauna already.

Steve

Thanks guys, if you guys need any help on fish husbandry im happy to help, theres been countless years of research gone into that area.

You dont know if it is a naitive or an introduced species. If it is introduced and grows so well in your tank, imagine what it could do if let loose in the wild with all those nutrients in urban run off feeding it. We have enough noxious flora and fauna already.

You have a good point steve. We wouldnt want to destroy our lovely aussie habitat!!! Ok, so, my next goal...find a native species and try.

Well, i do have a salt water tank setup and could probably culture weed...but its not really worth the effort. Many marine aquarist have various 'green' plants including stringy/cabbage/ and Capulera! which are all very efficient at removing waste from the tank (in the form of nitrogen). All you have to do it grow it, harvest it, and throw it away!

But for example Capulera, is a highly invasive plant, little fragments that break off can generate new ones, tolerates a wide range of temperatures etc...And guess what...they're a very common noxious weed in Australia, transported here by the aquarium trade!!!!! Though more prominant in the northern parts of Australia. Furthermore...most aquatic animals dont eat it :(

Wow, look at the great weather, cant wait for another blackie session!!!