Ben Chifley

spikey

hey fellow raiders am fishing ben chifley on the 20th and 21st of september. never actually fished there b4 so am a little clue less.

any body elsed fished here with succes?? ive heard plenty of good things about ppl catching 50+ redfin in a session there jigging them up.. ive attatched a lil map in the hope that some1 might be able 2 share a succesful area? i know these fish do school around and dont neccesarily stay in same spot. but any help is worth trying out rather then starting of blind... thanx heaps

post-5406-1220660685_thumb.jpg

Edited by spikey

hi spikey

ben chiefly dam red fin can be a bit tepremental at times. the most luck i have had is in

december and january. jiging and bait are the only way to go. to me trolling is a big wast of time unless you have a downrigger because the red fin sit on the bottom and lures wont dive deep enough to get to the fish. most fish are caught between 7 and 15 meters deep. you can still catch them in shallower water but you wont get as many. take a range of soft plastics red and white shads work the best for me, make sure you fish them on the bottom because if there not on the bottom you wont catch many.also take worms and fish them on a patanosta rig place your hook about 30-50cm above the sinker and drop it to the bottom. locating the schools of fish is the hard part. the front half of the dam is more productive for me. get a empty 1.25 soft drink bottle and tie about 30 meters of fishing line to it and tie a big snapper lead to the other end of the line this is your marker boy. drift around as SOON as you hook a fish throw in your marker boy this will mark the school of fish and then all you have to do is keep drifting past the boy every time you do you should catch a fish if you dont pull up the boy and try again.

103 is the best i have done in 4 hours and 82 in about the same amount of time and have caught between

20 and 70 many times.

jim

i might even take my boat out and have a fish to, i got a new downrigger i want to test out.

let me know exactly when you will be there i might be able to meet up with you

and show you a few places to fish

post-6149-1220701020_thumb.jpg82

post-6149-1220700992_thumb.jpg103

Edited by jimnicdusty

cannot help you spikey but looks like jims got you covered...

jim,thats a pretty good haul there mate...

how are they on the plate and are they similar to yellowbelly....

good luck up there guys.

cheers...steve....

hi roosterman

i'm not much of a fish eater but most of my frends reckon there the best freshwater fish you can eat

there not fatty like yellow belly

wow thats great help there jim. thanx very much.. i am definately heading up on the saturday of the 20th september.. should be there at around 11am or so i would say.. have got some accomodation booked 4 the night then gonne be up at sunrise and fish till around midday on the sunday b4 venturing back home 2 penrith..

hey fellow raiders am fishing ben chifley on the 20th and 21st of september. never actually fished there b4 so am a little clue less.

any body elsed fished here with succes?? ive heard plenty of good things about ppl catching 50+ redfin in a session there jigging them up.. ive attatched a lil map in the hope that some1 might be able 2 share a succesful area? i know these fish do school around and dont neccesarily stay in same spot. but any help is worth trying out rather then starting of blind... thanx heaps

post-5406-1220660685_thumb.jpg

hey mate there is a comp on this weekend I have posted the detailsso check them out...

Chiffley fishes well for most off the year if you can locate the fish. I have had a lot of success fishing deep jigged plastics in the gulp (grubs) and squidgy wrigglers. also Ecogear vt55 and jackal TN60 have accounted for some big fish out of there.

also worth a try is the far bank to the left of the ramp. The weed there comes out a fair way and there are alway cruising fish on the edges.

good luck and i hope you get into them

MItch