Jump to content

Fishermen Die In Bbq Gas Poisoning In Nz


Recommended Posts

Fishermen die in BBQ gas poisoning in NZ

Two men on a weekend fishing trip in New Zealand have died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after moving a portable barbecue into their cabin to keep warm overnight.

One man who survived is slowly recovering after sessions in a navy hyperbaric chamber.

The trio were on a fishing trip at Raglan on the west coast of the North Island when two of the men were found dead in their Ruapuke Motor Camp cabin beds on Sunday morning.

The survivor was found in a delirious state on the floor of the cabin.

Initial indications were that the two South African-born men died from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of using the charcoal-burning barbecue inside the cabin.

The alarm was raised and police called after other members of the men's group noticed the three had not risen early as planned to go fishing.

The survivor was flown by air ambulance to Waikato Hospital in Hamilton then transferred to Devonport Naval Base in Auckland for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber.

He was then admitted to North Shore Hospital.

Hyperbaric oxygen therapy promotes rapid healing, with a patient breathing pure oxygen while inside the chamber.

But Waitemata District Health Board spokeswoman Bryony Hilless said the man briefly returned to the navy hospital on Monday for another hyperbaric session.

"His condition is serious but it's stable, and he has gone for this particular treatment and he may need another one."

Hilless said the man would return to North Shore's high dependency unit after Monday's treatment.

Ben Walker, who runs the Ruapuke motor camp, said it was "stupidity" to take the barbecue into the cabin to keep warm and that he had previously warned others not to do the same.

"If only I had seen them take the barbecue inside, things could have been different. I feel like crying, I just can't believe it," he told The Dominion Post newspaper.

He said the trio must have had a few beers and drifted off to sleep.

The deceased were reportedly a 35-year-old store manager from Auckland and a 50-year-old store purchaser from Hamilton, both migrants from South Africa.

A police spokesman said the deaths were a tragic reminder of the risks of using any type of fuel burner in a confined space.

Carbon monoxide displaced oxygen in the bloodstream and deprived the heart, brain and other vital organs of oxygen.

New Zealand Mountain Safety Council spokesman Chris Tews said the deaths were a tragic reminder of the extreme care required when using cooking equipment in confined spaces.

"Carbon monoxide is colourless, odourless, tasteless but highly toxic gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when the gas is inhaled and significant exposure can be fatal."

"Carbon monoxide forms when a fuel is burnt and the oxygen availability is restricted, such as when ventilation is poor," Tews said.

The council recommended that any stove fuelled by gas, charcoal or kerosene be used outside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a shocker, Pete! I really feel for the families of the men.

Never ever have any BBQ/heating equipment in a confined space with out adequate ventilation!

This has happened previously (not sure if here or in NZ when I lived there) to campers who have taken their cooker into the tent or campervan when it has been raining.

Don't do it!!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...