What Is The Best Diesel Fuel Additive

moover

What is the best diesel fuel additive ?????

I want one that gets rid of diesel fuel bugs. It has to have biocide. Biocide kills algae and bacteria in diesel fuel tanks and lines.

I have been told that Fuel Treat is the best diesel fuel additive, but its hard to get.

Anyone use any other diesel fuel additive.????

There is a product called Diesel Power it is available in 250mls and 1 liter bottles I used it on my old Hilux and it did actually work I noticed a remarkable power improvement.

My mechanic suggested I put the whole 250mls in my fuel tank when I filled up and within 25kms I had more power brilliant stuff.

A lot of fuel " bugs " are related to water in in the fuel so make sure you get one that also get's rid of water in the tank. Make sure you run fuel to low in the tank and refill and redose for a while and avoid wherever you got the bad stuff if you can. If you really do have a algea problem once it is solved check your filters as they can block quickly

Edited by pelican

My experience with this diesel bacteria leads to one solution only.

Remove and drain the tank.

I had previously used the medicine mentioned above however it gave me more grief than one could imagine. Sure, it kills the bacteria, but the reultant matter blocks fuel filters like nothing else. One problem rectified, but creates another even nastier result. I think the inconvenience of poor fuel flow from blocked filters almost drove me to insanity. Took a lot of replacement filters, and quite a deal of time for the fuel to become "clean" again.

Definately recommend removing the tank. A couple of hours and your problem is solved - not to mention the piece of mind knowing that your tank is completely free of foreign objects.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks guys,

1. I can’t get the fuel tanks out of the boat so I drained them the best as I could (still a tiny amount in the tank)

2. Filled them up with some fresh diesel and added some Diesel Power form Chemtech…..

3. Changed all the filters and bleed all the fuel lines, got it up and running. After about 25 minuets the motor just died…… the motor started (Just) so we limped back to the mooring. The next day I got 2 new filters and fitted them, took it for a good long run…. No problems so far (but I will replace the filters again very soon……!!! (just to be sure)

well you guys were spot on

So if you thank you have algae and bacteria in your diesel fuel (diesel fuel bugs) just be warned…..!!!! Have plenty of new filters available.

The best way to do it is to take the fuel thanks out and clean them with kerosene put them back in fill them full and add some diesel fuel additive that contains (Biocide) Biocide kills algae and bacteria in diesel fuel tanks and fuel lines, It helps to prevent it happing again. Always try and keep your tanks full.

BTW this is only for diesel fuel….

cheers

We used to use biocide all the time not just when we had problems. We also ran one tank dry and then pumped between tanks via water seperator and polisher but had a lot of fuel on board to justify it. If you can buy good diesel and keep water out of it you are half way there and we used t to buy one company brand only and it is worth phoning the petro plant engineers and asking what product they are using as a biocide and use that. We got the sh----its really bad and also ended up with adaptor that was placed on the bowser nozzle and it had a double racor water seperator and filter which worked with drum fuel. Soon learnt which bowsers were crap fuel suppliers but at least we found out before it was in the tanks. We noticed the biggest risk times were when companies changed from summer to winter fuel mix and combinibfg different brands fuel. Fuel barges were always pretty good quality and supplied fuel pre dosed - not sure if they still do.

• 7 years later...

I used Fuelmaster Fuel Treatment to get rid of the bug. It is best to try and pump off as much of the "biomass" ( black or brown muck ) that is on the bottom of your fuel tank first.

this saves you a lot of fuel filters and stops the muck going through your fuel system.

One heavy dose of this product cleaned up my problem, and it is not a dangerous product so it doesn't matter how strong you use it. my engine runs far better now than it did before I had the bug, and I put this down to this product cleaning up of the internals of the engine and I also found out that Fuelmaster actually has a "top end" lubricant in it which makes the engine run smoother. another good feature is that it stops the fuel from ageing and stops the build up of gum & varnish, I now use it with every fill up of fuel.

The only real way is to have the fuel polished, tanks and lines cleaned. Additives do work to a certain degree but become extremely expensive for large amounts of fuel. It's relatively east to rig up a polishing system onboard if you want to go down that path if you have more than one tank. Going through the same problem as we speak on a delivery to QLD only getting about 20 mins between filter changes on both main engines. Boat is now at Port Hacking waiting to get fuel and a few other problems rectified.

If you want an additive to lubricate injectors and pumps etc due to the ultra low sulphur fuels your best bet is mineral 2 stroke outboard oil at 200:1, works extremely well and is miles ahead in price compared to other additives if bought in large amounts.

Edited by Whaler 255