Cuttles

flea

Went for a quick afternoon squid sesh today before the wind picked up in Pittwater saw two smallish cuttles caught for future king baits. No net meant I dropped at least 2 more. They were fairly shy and had to lure them in close and entice them with small 1.8 jigs. If these smaller jigs had head spikes I would've been more successful as they were attacking from the side/head. Scent on the jigs seemed to put them off. Anyway an enjoyable hour sight fishing for inkies after work - sorry no pics

Flea

Mate I had the exact same problem down at Clifton Gardens last week.

I managed to get 2 but only after they hit the 1.8 jig about 3 or 4 times.

They kept coming from the side and wouldnt get caught on the end barbs...bit strange as I've never had this problem before? :wacko:

Cheers

Andrew

I suspect that a hit from a suid is more devastating behind the head where they can quickly kill the prey. It probably happens more often than we think - just most times we don't see what is happening. Are there any jigs with spikes further up the body in the smaller sizes (1.8)?? Or maybe the cuttlefish has less chance of being jagged due to smaller tentacles??

Cheers Flea

They kept coming from the side and wouldnt get caught on the end barbs...bit strange as I've never had this problem before? :wacko:

Cheers

Andrew

That's just what often happens when you're fishing down at you feet from a wharf or boat for squid/cuttles that are so close you can see them. you can't work the jig in the way that is most conducive to hooking up.

a perfect remedy is one of those truly tiny jigs that are way smaller than yozuri 1.8s

Cheers

Andrew

Just remember the back to the basics mate :biggrin2: . Andrew you have seen my favourite tact is to give them abit of slack line then a quick lil flick of the wrist and those finicky cuttles explode into a cloud of ink. Only prob with letting them take abit of slack line before striking is they sometimes drop the jigg,,, this is especially the case with squid, but never had a problem with this on those nasty lil biting cuttlefish.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

I suspect that a hit from a suid is more devastating behind the head where they can quickly kill the prey. It probably happens more often than we think - just most times we don't see what is happening. Are there any jigs with spikes further up the body in the smaller sizes (1.8)?? Or maybe the cuttlefish has less chance of being jagged due to smaller tentacles??

Cheers Flea

yer mate i used to have a few squid jigs with those head spikes but they where really crummy and the spikes in the head always fell out.

Jack