Rigging Up Livies.

softplasticsjunkie

for yakka and slimmys i use a black magic throught the nose and a treble up the poo hole

never had a prob with them dying i usuly have them free swimming or under a small float or balloon

there are lots off tricks of swimming up or down but i like to give the yakkas a little hair cut :biggrin2:

gary

I like to make a two hook rig, with a trebble if you like as the first hook tied, stuck gently inside the ginger so that the leader in between the hooks is tight enough to hold the dorsal hook shank flat down onto the back of the livie to keep both hook shank and leader right out of the way for a head take.

The trebble in the tan track would act as a mild irritant and needs to be held in tight enough in the cyber by the leader so that it would only result in mild spasms in the punjab area and ensure that the livie will shed a tear or two and have a swimming action that won't be all that overjoyous or gracefull.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hmmm... Intresting...What about bridal rigging with a rubber band?How do you do that??Harry.

Harry

First attach a size 16 rubber band to your hook (as you would dacron)Pick up the end of the rubber band with the hook of the bait needle

Pass the needle through the bait fish at the leading edge of the eye socket(in front of the eye).And pull the rubber band through

Discard the bait needle

whilst holding the bait with one hand pick up the end of the rubber band and hold it with your other hand.

and place it onto the hook and  Twist 3 to 4 times this will pull down to be almost resting on the head of the baitfish were with slight pressure applied to the hook

you can then pass the hook back through the band (same principal you would with dacron)to lock it all off in place.

With a little bit of practise this can all be achieved in seconds were it can then be quickly despatched into the water

NB make sure either somebody is on the rod paying out line at this stage or if on your own rod that it is in free spool for when the slimie hits the water they have the tendency to take off like a rocket which you want it to do preferably away from the boat and with min hinderance.

Cheers Warnie.

Harry

First attach a size 16 rubber band to your hook (as you would dacron)Pick up the end of the rubber band with the hook of the bait needle

Pass the needle through the bait fish at the leading edge of the eye socket(in front of the eye).And pull the rubber band through

Discard the bait needle

whilst holding the bait with one hand pick up the end of the rubber band and hold it with your other hand.

and place it onto the hook and  Twist 3 to 4 times this will pull down to be almost resting on the head of the baitfish were with slight pressure applied to the hook

you can then pass the hook back through the band (same principal you would with dacron)to lock it all off in place.

With a little bit of practise this can all be achieved in seconds were it can then be quickly despatched into the water

NB make sure either somebody is on the rod paying out line at this stage or if on your own rod that it is in free spool for when the slimie hits the water they have the tendency to take off like a rocket which you want it to do preferably away from the boat and with min hinderance.

Cheers Warnie.

hi warnie ,do also attach your livies to your outriggers with rubber bands too or do you use clips

cheers arman

hi warnie ,do also attach your livies to your outriggers with rubber bands too or do you use clips

cheers arman

Arman

i use perko pegs which the band is clipped into the reasoning behind this method that i like so much

as a rule when a predator arrives on the scene this is clearly indicated most times by the stretching on the

elestic band which can stretch amazingly long.

And at a time when a fish is say maybe being catious and inquisitive in feeding the nervous reaction and

vibes transmitted by the slimie which of course is wanting to head for the hills

is both shown via the band and naturaly to the predetor more often than not helping to induce a predetory

response in attacking and also giving a impending warning to the crew looking at the band on the rigger

Cheers Warnie..

I use Warnies method but with a small cable tie instead of the band.

It works a treat :thumbup:

Robbie.

Ditto!!! Using a cable tie means you dont even need a bait needle as they go through yakkas and slimies with ease..... usually

Some great descriptive and illustrated posts there guys.

I use the bridle method, however it is imperative to note that always have a wet towell at the ready when you get the baitfish on board. Place the towell over the eyes of your livey, weather it be a Yakka or a 10Kg YFT. This will subdue, and or create much less stress on the baifish, which is ever important for the longevity and condition of your bait.

Extremely important to watch your trolling speed. A bridled livey has less control over it's ability to remain upright and can quite easily "drown". Even if you have to use 1 engine only, sometimes I have even had to continually engage and disengage forward gear to keep the bait alive. This will become more important if you are trolling against the current.

Practice makes perfect, but speed and efficiency of the operation will ensure a healthy bait presented to your targeted species.

I hope that this may be of some use to other Raiders, it works for me.

Cheers.

Ditto!!! Using a cable tie means you dont even need a bait needle as they go through yakkas and slimies with ease..... usually

Just a word of advice in regards to cable tie versus elastic band

connecting your hook to the bait rigidly with a cable tie may very well work.

but inregards to a circle hook

by using an elastic band it will allow the hook to do its mechanical means to hook cleanly in the jaw of the

fish you are targetting unhindered... if the hook needs to rotate to this effect it can do so easily

this is quite easily demonstrated when after making your rig's give it the 'bucket test"

after making my live bait rig's i bucket test them each 3 times beforehand...they rarely miss there mark

try it i highly reccommend the method.

Warnie.

Arman

i use perko pegs which the band is clipped into the reasoning behind this method that i like so much

as a rule when a predator arrives on the scene this is clearly indicated most times by the stretching on the

elestic band which can stretch amazingly long.

And at a time when a fish is say maybe being catious and inquisitive in feeding the nervous reaction and

vibes transmitted by the slimie which of course is wanting to head for the hills

is both shown via the band and naturaly to the predetor more often than not helping to induce a predetory

response in attacking and also giving a impending warning to the crew looking at the band on the rigger

Cheers Warnie..

sorry warnie to bust your chops mate ,but do you use a stronger band on the riggers ,or just rely on the band pulling from the peg unbroken, sorry one more question mate do you use drop back or freespool for beakies

cheers arman

sorry warnie to bust your chops mate ,but do you use a stronger band on the riggers ,or just rely on the band pulling from the peg unbroken, sorry one more question mate do you use drop back or freespool for beakies

cheers arman

Arman

you are certainaly not busting my chops as i am only to happy to answer any question thrown my way

stick to the 16 as i said they stretch amazingly long it does take a bit of trial and error in determining

in just how far back in the peg to place the band in concern to how much pressure is applied for it to pop.

90% of the time we are alerted to the presence of a fish by the way the bait is reacting in turn

visibly transmitting this signal to us via the band were upon the rod is picked up ready either before or at

the same time the

band is to release or break the fish is fed the bait enough pressure is applied to the reel to avoid it over

running and the fish feeling

little or no resistant swims off which more often

than not is a casual affair the rest in regards what to do with circles i'm sure you aware.

Cheers Warnie

Edited by ungry warnie

Ive always wanted to use this technique. I have 2 questions though. What size hook do you typically use for this rig, and in the diegram it says put the needle through the eye @ 11 o'clock. Is that in the eye socket itself, or just above the eye socket?

Thanks

Ive always wanted to use this technique. I have 2 questions though. What size hook do you typically use for this rig, and in the diegram it says put the needle through the eye @ 11 o'clock. Is that in the eye socket itself, or just above the eye socket?

Thanks

Tumra.

the diagram is an apt and good description.... in practise though you will find the hook and leader will

be positioned the reverse

way as depicted in the diagram and the location of the bridal loop will be closer to 9 o'clock

insert the needle delicately in front of the eye ball of the fish's eye socket

hook size will depend on what it is you are actually targetting.

Warnie..

Arman

you are certainaly not busting my chops as i am only to happy to answer any question thrown my way

stick to the 16 as i said they stretch amazingly long it does take a bit of trial and error in determining

in just how far back in the peg to place the band in concern to how much pressure is applied for it to pop.

90% of the time we are alerted to the presence of a fish by the way the bait is reacting in turn

visibly transmitting this signal to us via the band were upon the rod is picked up ready either before or at

the same time the

band is to release or break the fish is fed the bait enough pressure is applied to the reel to avoid it over

running and the fish feeling

little or no resistant swims off which more often

than not is a casual affair the rest in regards what to do with circles i'm sure you aware.

Cheers Warnie

thanks warnie for takin the time mate to share your techniquies,i also use bands in peg type clips in my outrigers,have heard of people use bands to bridal the baits ,just couldnt bring myself to use the same type of bands to attach both bait and outrigger, just in case

but if thats worked for you will definetly try that this season

thanks mate

cheers arman

Edited by mr magoo