Bottom Bashing Browns

LUKEC

Hi

Have purchased an alvey reef Queen and interested in Bottom Bashing Browns. Pretty much have rigs etc soughted by reading older posts here.

When setting up for a drift i believe most are using a sounder to read the bottom, is this correct?

Problem atm is our sounder is not good enough to read bottom is anyone able to advise some marks to drift from and to etc?

This is prob alot to ask but would appreciate any direction.

(Sounder is in the works but most likely 12months off - getting married early 09)

Cheers

Luke

G'day Luke

What worries me a little is what boat you are considering taking out. A lot of people set up their boats with sounders that are good for what the boat is good for and many boats are not right for going well offshore.

Just hoping your boat is capable and what other electronics, radio epirb ,quality life jackets you have on board that's all.

At those depths with a fair few $ in the water guessing what is where and pot luck is an expensive days petrol so closer inshore may be get better results.

Cheers pel

G'day Luke

What worries me a little is what boat you are considering taking out. A lot of people set up their boats with sounders that are good for what the boat is good for and many boats are not right for going well offshore.

Just hoping your boat is capable and what other electronics, radio epirb ,quality life jackets you have on board that's all.

At those depths with a fair few $ in the water guessing what is where and pot luck is an expensive days petrol so closer inshore may be get better results.

Cheers pel

Hi

Running it from a 600 Cruisecraft explorer, with a 175hp Evinrude.

When we brought the boat we did not do alot of research in relation to the soudnder and were incorrectly guided by the boat shop.

(Currently running a lowrance X91 good for around 120m)

so i guess what you are saying is that a sounder is mandatory?

Cheers

Luke

Luke, on a good day there are many boats out there fishing the bottom, im sure you can see where people are dropping, well in the immediate vicinity anyway so you can just squeeze in between them and try it out. I would suggest looking for a charter operator and dropping very close to him. Ive fished the bottom right on the marks given on the net for the place and have done ok. My sounder cant read over 60m! Hope this helps.

Kamil

Guest Big-Banana

Cheers

So would it be fair to say that if i did a drop on the standard browns mark it would be a good starting point?

I've never used a specific mark and it's just a matter of knowing the underwater structure in conjunction with the mountain, 9/10 you won't miss.

I've never used a specific mark and it's just a matter of knowing the underwater structure in conjunction with the mountain, 9/10 you won't miss.

Cheers, thats what i want to hear ;)

Luke, on a good day there are many boats out there fishing the bottom, im sure you can see where people are dropping, well in the immediate vicinity anyway so you can just squeeze in between them and try it out. I would suggest looking for a charter operator and dropping very close to him. Ive fished the bottom right on the marks given on the net for the place and have done ok. My sounder cant read over 60m! Hope this helps.

Kamil

Thanks mate that makes sense.

Guest Big-Banana

Kamil

Probably not the best way to make friends...

Find your own ground mate, theres a lot of mountain to share.

Probably not the best way to make friends...

Find your own ground mate, theres a lot of mountain to share.

As if! :thumbdown: I didn't say to sit right on top of a charter boat or anyone else, but geez in the immediate vicinity you can't go wrong, like YOU said it is a lot of space!!!!!!!!!!!!! If people are dropping within a 1km2 area then im sure you can fit in there somewhere, no one owns the water!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not there to make friends im there to catch fish!

Edited by xtosea

Guest Big-Banana

As if! :thumbdown: I didn't say to sit right on top of a charter boat or anyone else, but geez in the immediate vicinity you can't go wrong, like YOU said it is a lot of space!!!!!!!!!!!!! If people are dropping within a 1km2 area then im sure you can fit in there somewhere, no one owns the water!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not there to make friends im there to catch fish!

The etiquette out there was absolute sh*thouse this year, I don't think there was one session on the fin' that i didn't have someone drive through my trail or trolling through it.

This isn't Flint and Steel or Juno and we don't want it to be!

Anthony cubing and bottom bashing is different! I understand i would get the poo poo's if someone sat in my cube trail or drove thru it, sometimes it may have taken hours to start it and finally get the fish in it, but bottom bashing ettiquette is a bit different champ. It a big plateau on Browns and there is room for everyone.

Sadly with more and more boats fishing these days, and not everyone is on the net to find out proper manners out there or they just have not been told, im sure it will only get worse in the future.

Guest Big-Banana

Of course it is, I'm not talking about that.

But you're fishing a trail, and this happened to a lot of shark guys this year, they burley hard for hours, and then have some wanker to drive straight through the trail.

Then there's the issue for bottom bashing, I've got certain marks which I've used at times, but from some d*ckhead to come and stop within 5 m of me right into my drift path and tell me to f*ck off, then you know somethings wrong.

Making a bit of noise is the only way to improve this :mad3:

If i was bottom bashing Browns i would not care if some boat stopped and dropped within 5m of me to fish the bottom although any sense in them would soon realise 5m is too close as the line gets a bow in it and could cause problems, however i would have a problem if someone did that to me while we are cubing, Lukes original question was about bottom bashing, i think you strayed a bit and got into shark fishing and cubing, two different types of fishing, i agree with you whole heartedly about the cubing but in this case where he is asking about bottom bashing, i dont think people would care as much as one thinks so.

I would like you agree to raise the issue of people driving thru peoples cube trails and sharks trails and start their own trail within metres of them, i think thats wrong, but on a few occasions i have let people sit in my trail, but only the people that i knew.