Can Anyone Help With Nelson Bay Info?

dandas

Hi Guys.

I am heading up to Nelson Bay this weekend and am thinking of taking the Cruzy up.

I haven't been there before so was wondering

1) Is there a proper boat ramp? Someone told me there is only a beach boat ramp where you drive across the sand.

2) Where I will catch any YFT or Kingies at the moment.

3) Wether it is worth the hassle of dragging a two ton boat all the way up from Sydney this time of year. I will probably only get a day and a half of fishing but will do it if it is worthwhile.

Thanks in advance !!

Dan

Edited by dandas

1) Is there a proper boat ramp? Someone told me there is only a beach boat ramp where you drive across the sand. YES. AT LITTLE BAY (NEAR HALIFAX CARAVAN PARK) THERE'S A GOOD WIDE (4 BOAT?) RAMP, JETTY AND PONTOON. THE SHOAL BAY RAMP IS ACROSS SAND.

2) Where I will catch any YFT or Kingies at the moment. DON'T KNOW. CAN'T HELP. SORRY

3) Wether it is worth the hassle of dragging a two ton boat all the way up from Sydney this time of year. I will probably only get a day and a half of fishing but will do it if it is worthwhile. NO. LEAVE IT AT MY PLACE AND I'LL USE IT IN SYDNEY! HA HA! SERIOUSLY THOUGH, WHY NOT TAKE THE BOAT? THE PORT IS A GREAT PLACE TO FISH.

One thing I recommend to anyone interested in fish/fishing... go to Fly Point and have a snorkel at the top of the tide. Feed the fish with bread and you will be amazed at the mullet, bream, whiting, flathead, blackfish etc. you will see! You can't fish there by the way. ;)

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

hi Dan,

Looking at your avatar the only ramp I would recommend is Soldiers Pt, abt 10-15min from NB. It's steep & into deep water, sheltered in anything but a howling westerly. Plenty of free parking & adjacent to a marina.

Around the two marina breakwalls is a haven for rat kingis, watch for the subtle surface activity on the breakwall eddies during the run-out,(current is visibly fast). The big boyz are known to frequent the reefy headland adjacent to the Fingal lighthouse and are common to 16kg. Hang on!! Another hot spot is the Gibber.

Maybe PM Ross Hunter for YFT info??

Please consult the PSGLMP chart before fishing any areas!!

There's a starter for you :biggrin2:

Jig

the amenities at nelson bay(port stephens) are brillant,cant tell you whats being caught up there but i can tell you i have been eyeing of that warm eddy thats been sitting of there for a while now and im still hopeing that it comes down the coast another 50 or60 miles,i reckon thered be fin there ,tow it up drop in the local tackle shop and let them decide tuna ,kings , reds

as longs as the weathers good go and hopefully you will brain em

cheers arman

Oh, I forgot. You can sometimes pick up mack tuna or bluefin in the Port but don't know if they've been around lately, as I haven't fished there for a couple of years. September/October used to be a good time for these species. I remember the Trailer Boat Tournament the week before Easter a few years back, a few were picked up just off the marina and also at the Corlette wreck.

If heading outside and the weather's OK you might want to make the run up to Broughton Island and give that a go.

Good lcuk.

Baz

hi Dan,

Looking at your avatar the only ramp I would recommend is Soldiers Pt, abt 10-15min from NB. It's steep & into deep water, sheltered in anything but a howling westerly. Plenty of free parking & adjacent to a marina.

Jig

I agree with Jig. Little bay is OK to retreive a boat your size at high tide but bad news any thing below half tide.

The main problem is the ramp can have up to 6" of sand covering the concrete making traction very difficult.

Also , there is a good chance your trailer may be off the end of the ramp. Sand is very soft & the wheels will quickly sink.

Fish wise , there is several places for YFT, on of the more popular spots is called "The Car Park"

I think it is S/E of the heads.

As mentioned , contact Ross Hunter

For a local contact , Salamanda Bait & Tackle. They provide a fishing report on Hi Tide. Suggest a phone call will provide the required information

Geoff

Hi Dandas

The Little Beach ramp is wide enough for 3 boats at a time, lots of parking. Jigholio is right about low tide though. Will depend on what you are towing it with or do what I do and kick the sand out from the front of the wheels and it is usually OK

You can ring Duffy at Salamander Bait and Tackle to see whats being caught this week or drop in and see him - tackle shop is next to service station at Salamander shops. He always has the info.

Stinker writes the fishing column in the Port Stephens Examiner with the weeks report also.

I would take the boat up any weekend as long as the weather isnt a right off because there is always something around.

good luck

Tony