Centerpin Reels

Juzza

Right now im using a blackqueen with a 2500 spinning reel. The rod length in the blackqueen is quite short...and not suitable for wading...my reels always gets dunked into the water. After a few more sessions of blackfish im gonna go shopping for a dedicated blackfish outfit. I just need some help with the outfit... looking at a Synder glas MT144, 4W ,3.7 meters, 40 gms, 3-5kg or something else (alvey rod)?. The reel is more of a problem, iv never used an centerpin nor a sidecast before...though i have read alot about them

looking at the alvey 455B its a centerpin reel..

Anyway, your help would be appreciated =D

Justin :1fishing1:

There's an art to using a true centre pin reel that I never managed to master (mind you, I gave up pretty quickly). As an alternative, have a look at an Alvey 475.... it's a side cast format blackfish reel with all the durability and simplicity (and unkillability) of other alveys, but much easier to cast with.

Cheers, Slinky

There's an art to using a true centre pin reel that I never managed to master (mind you, I gave up pretty quickly). As an alternative, have a look at an Alvey 475A.... you can get a side cast format with all the durability and simplicity (and unkillability) of other alveys, but much easier to cast with.

Cheers, Slinky

That's good advice-I am about to replace my weary old Avon centrepin with an Alvey sidecast blackfish reel-I expect to be able to cast a lot further when I need to,but still retain the instant line control so vital in blackfishing. I'm thinking about trying Rapala Titanium Stretch braid out on the new reel.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for the info slinky slinky.

Just another question for everyone, do you think there is a possible rod that will suit fishing from the rocks and estuaries?

i know that the ones on the rocks are generally longer in length.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Juzza, if you want a modern pin the Shakespeare Eagle is the goods, built for saltwater i dislike sidecasts and even at 33 i was brought up to Wallis cast a pin a mile its a personal thing an alvey has many advantages for those not accustomed to a pin Mark84 is one person who i taught the pin to and picked it up overnight others i have tutored just never could or it took years! :1prop: Go out with a seasoned luderick fisho and see if they will let you use their pin or get a cheap Steelite off Ebay great robust Aussie made pin and a 8th of the price for a new one!

As for a lighter longer all purpose stick try the mag bream or Snyder C144 my preference as at 12 foot its a great estuary stick but is okay for light rock fishing!

PM if you want any other advice my thoughts are archaic compared to others i still use split cane rods, allcocks aerials and sportex rods with a 4inch Trudex!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Tried all sorts of reels fishing for luderick. Started with a threadline, (37 years ago) went to a sidecast then settled on a centrepin. The old black plastic models: went through a couple of them before getting on to an Avon Royal. Wore that out and tried the new style of sidecast "centrepins" but had too much trouble with line twist.

Using a Shakespeare Eagle now: it's as good as the Avon.

Centrpins are the best for this style of fishing if using a float, for pussyfooting, go the threadline.

Hint when casting: let the weight of the float and terminal rig start pulling the line through the tip runner before casting.

Koalaboi

I use a Sportex rod and Avon reel for my luderick fishing. Also have an Alvey, which I have never used. Was looking at the Snyder blank last week, but will most likely try a Pacific Composites blackfish rod as a second outfit for the Alvey reel. You can cast far enough in virtually all rock fishing scenarios, with the centrepin reel. You still have to be careful on the Alvey blackfish reel in sidecast option, as the leader and float can foul on a cast. If you can persevere with the centrepin, then I would suggest you go with one. I am currently using 10lb Raptor braid and a 6lb vanish flourocarbon leader of the rocks. Works for me.

I would go with a Kilwell 1365 - 5wraps very powerful but forgiving like a sportex BTW which model sportex you armed with i like the 3902 and 663 for heavy work and the 287 for estuary! Found the Avons a good reel but prefer a Trudex or an Adcock Stanton in 4.5 inch!

Snyder are good i have the GP3145 nice brute of a 12 footer!

• 11 months later...

sweet! found an alvey blackfish reel in my shed that i didnt know i had. It's maroon and sorta old... dunno why my dad ever got it.

What should i spool it with? Brad or just mono?

also is a 7ft spin stick enough for blackie fishing from the shore? (harbour rocks... not much in terms of dangerous waves usually as they're usually protected in bays etc). It's that or a 9ft/12ft beach rod which i don't mind using but are a little heavy. The spin stick could probably cast a light weight farther

Also, i am having a hard time finding where blackfish live. Are there any tell tale signs or is it worth trying wherever theres weed growing on the rocks? How far out should i cast.. beyond the clear water near the rocks? Does it matter as long as it is in the general area and i've burleyed up?

EDIT: Wow don't know how my post ended up here. I swear I was trying to post in the blackfish tips sticky?! Did a mod move this or was I just an idiot? :P

EDIT2: Yeah i just got confused.. Sorry i am an idiot. Will post in the right thread.. Sorry for necroing this one :(

Edited by cfw

I use a Sportex rod and Avon reel for my luderick fishing. Also have an Alvey, which I have never used. Was looking at the Snyder blank last week, but will most likely try a Pacific Composites blackfish rod as a second outfit for the Alvey reel. You can cast far enough in virtually all rock fishing scenarios, with the centrepin reel. You still have to be careful on the Alvey blackfish reel in sidecast option, as the leader and float can foul on a cast. If you can persevere with the centrepin, then I would suggest you go with one. I am currently using 10lb Raptor braid and a 6lb vanish flourocarbon leader of the rocks. Works for me.

A few months ago I built a rod specifically for fishing for blackies, used an excel composites black which turned out to be a pacific composites blank, I am extremely happy with the rod, very light and also very thin blank but a lot of power, has landed me drummer up to 48cm. It is teamed up with an alvey 475b blackie reel, I struggled to get use to the reel at first but a bit of time and now I would not hit the stones without it. Search my post to find out more details.

Ps. Sorry to anyone following that post, have been very slack as of late and still have not uploaded the photo's.. will revive the post in a couple of weeks with pic's!

Juzza: if you require anymore feedback pm me I'm happy to help with either rod or reel.