Optimum Downrigger Speed?

jim77

Just after some advice from all of the experienced downriggers out there.

FIrstly is there an optimum speed to travel at? I'm guessing the slower the better (within reason)? I think i might be going too fast - even though i click in and out of gear to try and limit the speed i struggle to stay much under 1.5 - 2 knots.

Secondly - other than making sure that the hooks are in the middle/straight etc are there any other tricks for making sure that the bait doesn't spin? Yakkas and Slimeys seem ok but some of my squid rugs have a tendency to spin...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

G'day Jim,

Walking pace is the go. I just have my motor in gear... to be honest I've never looked at the speed on my GPS but I've got a 75 ETec on the back of a 4.8 Quinnie so I guess I'm probably doing around 2 knots with no problems for the baits.

Where are you pinning the squid mate? Should be right in the tip of the hood (about 5-10mm in).

What sort of hooks are you using?... if the hooks are offset they will make baits spin and if they're too big or too heavy gauge they'll have a tendency to tire or kill a bait quickly and that will also make it spin.

Cheers, Slinky

try chucking a bucket over the side on a rope while your downrigging to get you going slower.

Jack

High tech :1prop:

realy? thats mad :1prop:

I have a 90 4 stroke and at just in gear or so is fine.

As long, of course, as the bait is riged correctly.

Mate the slower the better, some boats naturally go too fast, even if they are just in gear, Im lucky enough that my boat goes around 0.5 knots in gear...very slow which makes it ideal for downrigging...

Thanks for all of the advice fellas. You have confirmed my suspicions that i was/am going to fast. I will experiment further next time i go out.

Cheers for the info on Rigs Robbie.

Hopefully it will all fall into place next time i'm out there!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for all of the advice fellas. You have confirmed my suspicions that i was/am going to fast. I will experiment further next time i go out.

Cheers for the info on Rigs Robbie.

Hopefully it will all fall into place next time i'm out there!

Cheers

Jim

if u feel that u are going too fast at idle, try trimming the motor up a bit. Just make sure that its still pumping water