Fishing Near Lake Munmorah?

Ray1421

Hello Mates,

This is my first post as I am a newbie fisher (in Australia). I just relocated from the US where I do a lot of fishing. I am going to be staying in a cottage on Lake Munmorah this weekend and hoping to do some fishing. All my fishing will have to be done from shore, and I was hoping for saltwater fishing. Can anyone please help me with fishing locations? Bait shops? Rigs? Species to target? Hoping to take my wife out and just enjoy a day of fishing, a bonus would be some catching :) I would appreciate any help!

Cheers!

Ray

Hello Mates,

This is my first post as I am a newbie fisher (in Australia). I just relocated from the US where I do a lot of fishing. I am going to be staying in a cottage on Lake Munmorah this weekend and hoping to do some fishing. All my fishing will have to be done from shore, and I was hoping for saltwater fishing. Can anyone please help me with fishing locations? Bait shops? Rigs? Species to target? Hoping to take my wife out and just enjoy a day of fishing, a bonus would be some catching :) I would appreciate any help!

Cheers!

Ray

G'day Ray

Welcome to Oz.

I'm not familiar with the territory - but that area of NSW is absolutely gorgeous. I have no idea about the lake, but certainly off the beach you could be targetting Australian Salmon (don't taste great - but lots of fun).

But if I were you, and had some $$$ I would be thinking about getting a charter to take you jigging for King Fish fishing off Terrigal. I can't recommend one (though I'm sure someone can) - but I'm told there's plenty of Kingies around, and they're awesome fish, very very hard fighters, and very very tasty. It will be a day you'll remember.

Mike

Fishing in the little bay where the hot water comes out from the power station can be very rewarding at times. be aware though, it is closed for a few months of every year. I think its open at this time of year though. There are some very good bream to be caught in there.

The ironic thing is though on the day of the opening trawlers come in and clean the area out. The majority of the fish dissapear but there are a couple left behind.

Thanks for the input. When targeting Salmon off the beach, what kind of rigs/bait are used? Would a weight at the bottom of the line with a couple hooks baited with shrimp above the sinker work?

I noticed a couple piers or jettys a little ways north (around Swansea Head)...can fish be targeted off those as well? Appreciate everyone's help! It's stimulating to learn new fishing techniques and target new species, but frustrating too as I'm used to being an experienced and knowledgable fisherman for my targeted species in the US.

ps. Are there any any places to target Kingies from shore (up to an hour North or South of Sydney), or do you have to get out in a boat to find them? PMs welcomed.

Ray :1fishing1:

Thanks for the input. When targeting Salmon off the beach, what kind of rigs/bait are used? Would a weight at the bottom of the line with a couple hooks baited with shrimp above the sinker work?

Sorry I can't help you more - I'm not much of a shore fisherman.

An article on Salmon can be found here (unfortunately from a boat).

Mike

i fish there quite alot with bonito, bream, samon and taylor bring caught off the rocks

fish off the point at snapper point

use a running rig with western australian pilchards on 3 gang hooks

just fish the currents there look for where the water is getting mixed about and you should have luck

average size it between 50-75cm for the samon there if the conditions are right

thanks

justin

Mate,

I am thinking about a trip up to the central coast to have a go off the surf/rocks...

If you are keen, I would be happy to show you about and give you some help, good just to catch up and have a fish...

Got a few mates in the states, maybe trade some secrets so when i get over there at least I may be able to sound like I know what I am talking about...

Just PM if keen...

Maybe we could make a little fishraider beach session or something? Few beaches off Sydney sambos would be at also, any thoughts?

Cheers

Ben