Botany Bay? No Fish? Dredging? What The Hell?

Salmon_Hunter

Guys,

Can anyone shed some light on the dredging in Botany Bay. I have been going to the same spot for 5 years. It produces the goods for whiting all year round without fail. I was out there last Sat and I did not even get a touch. The bait that I was using did not get a touch.

I have recently heard rumours about dredging. Does anyone know who what when where? There wasnt even little crappy snappy to touch the bait.

PISSED OFF!!!

Have a read here and go to the links

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=33091&hl=

Not sure where the dredge is at the minute but it will be working over near the ports section and the channel for months.

Wouldn't be 100% sure it is affecting fishing but wouldn't be surprised either.

There is also the tunnel / pipeline for the desal plant going in as well

Edited by pelican

Not sure where the dredge is at the minute but it will be working over near the ports section and the channel for months.

Wouldn't be 10% sureit is affecting fishing but wouldn't be surprised either.

It's for the Infamous Desalination Plant. Ominous signs for us all i am afraid

Certainly dredging and whiting don't mix.

Don't think those silver bullets would be too happy in that dirty water, although on one hand it would stir up the worms and crustaceans ....... and the heavy metals, mercury, dioxins ......

BEWARE THE DESAL AND PORT STIRRING THE POT

I was fishing near a fella in the Georges last week who bagged out on Bream regularly at this spot but hasn't spun up a good bag for 5-6 years.

CHEERS ESKY

There is 2 sets of dredging going on

One for the port expansion - Port botany and the other for the desal plant Kurnell to Cooks River, right through the cockel beds.

I believe that this is only test drilling at the moment but there is a hot line you can ring and complain if you see the silt outside the drapes that are coming in.

Predictions for the fishing have not been good, quite a few weed beds will also be affected.

Submissions have been put in by ANSA and other concerned groups that have fallen on deaf ears, I have met with the minister and an ANSA representative to discuss potential issues with the desal plant PARTICULARLY since they are only testing 20cm down and digging 4meters down. The general thinking is they don't want to find out what is around the Cooks delta and Certainly don'y want to know what is around the Penryn River since it has already been closed because of pollution scares.

This is a real watch this space. My favorite bream grounds around the 3rd runway never recovered after the dredging there. I think it will be a very long time before the middle of the bay recovers.

JUST incidentally ANSA is trying to get some artifical reefs in the bay to try and give the fish an alternate ground to populate, these are from Korea and very successful, again these requests have fallen on deaf ears.

Time for a little R&D on new spots

Cheers

BIG

Edited by BIG

With the Desal Project being a $1.2 billion job a few (or even a lot of) whinging fisho's are not going to have any impact on the outcome. Yes unfortunately there will be a 4m x 5m channel dredged richt across the Bay then the pipeline will be laid in that trench. In addition there is the outfall for the high salt consentraion water being pumped almost right on top of a reef just off Kurnell. No matte rwhat the experts here at work tell me I haev no doubt that will also have a huge impact.

Paul

With the Desal Project being a $1.2 billion job a few (or even a lot of) whinging fisho's are not going to have any impact on the outcome. Yes unfortunately there will be a 4m x 5m channel dredged richt across the Bay then the pipeline will be laid in that trench. In addition there is the outfall for the high salt consentraion water being pumped almost right on top of a reef just off Kurnell. No matte rwhat the experts here at work tell me I haev no doubt that will also have a huge impact.

Paul

This is what i was particularly concerned about, I am a microbiologist and thesalt concentration is going to kill a lot of marine life. The only thin that will survive that marine life is worms and those worms have been shown to get into the fish stock, get into humans and are used as pollution indicators in the states. There is a lot here that is only quietly coming to light.

However it is agreed that a 2 bilion dollar project will go ahead come what, but I disagree that we should stop whinging, if there is enough political fall out, the next project will have an additional hurdel to overcome.

Cheers

BIG

Guest Big-Banana

I was fishing near a fella in the Georges last week who bagged out on Bream regularly at this spot but hasn't spun up a good bag for 5-6 years.

CHEERS ESKY

I think you just answered your own question.

Reminds me of an old bloke up at Port who had has his bag and was cleaning his fish which were just legal, if that, and he went on to say "yeah, this spot doesn't produce many big flathead anymore" :tease:

Wouldn't be 100% sure it is affecting fishing but wouldn't be surprised either.

Thanks for your post. I honestly think that this is all going down hill from here. We had a few boats out that day. I do not believe that Botany will cover from the dredging, or the increased salinity that is facing us. There was an unusal tinge of browny, greeny film on top of the sand. I had never seen anything or the sort in this particular place that I wished.

After years of pillage and plunder from commercial fisherman, we finally reclaim the bay, only to have the airport corp and the state government take it away. This definately needs for us to take a stand.