Good Day On The Jews At Berowa

mmarkich

took my 4 yr old son down to berowra for his first fish in a boat today (sunday 5th october) to see if he followed in his fathers footsteps and while i was still rigging up he allready had a nice flatty on about 45cm, the excitement on his face said a thousand words. After that we both got a few small soapys and then i got i nice flathead about 48cm. things started to get a bit quiet so i moved to the other side of the river (a secret family spot) and put on some large strips of fresh squid. within ten minutes i got a 5lb jewy on my light rod and within another ten minutes a hooked up on a 8lb jew. after about another 20 minutes i hooked up on something big on my heavy gear. this thing ran like a freight train for about 150mtrs then i turn him, for about 45minutes i played him, i even had boats stop to spectate. i finally got him close to the boat and my son got the gaff ready. he came up from the deep then i saw a large flash of a huge jewy tail and then he ran again did some big head shakes and then he was gone. he had to be at least 50 - 60 lb for what i saw and felt (disapointment +++). when i pulled in my line the hook 8.0 had almost been straightened (big fish). After re rigging i threw out another big bait hoping to get his brother and within another 10 minutes "bang" off the drag went. i fought this fish for about 15minutes and then got him in (14lb jew), Nice fish but nothing like the one before. overall the weather, fishing and company was perfect and went home with about 25lb of fish so i cant complain

ill have to get the big one next week :)post-5094-1223219658_thumb.jpg

:1yikes: well done mate...

what a great session to blood the young bloke with..

few good feeds of jewy steaks there eh...

hows the squid fishing been lately...

cheers...steve.....

ive been getting about 4 to 5 a night at the wharf but had the ocasional good night with 8. i had three perfect bait size calamari come right up onto the steps in front of me on thursday night but they wouldnt take a jig. if a had a landing net i rekon i would of been able to get them, they were very dosile.

It's a big ask for a 4 year old to use a gaff. The fish sounds like it would have been bigger than him!

no he only put it in the rod holder next to me and then he removed the piont protector so it was ready for me to use. the fish was definatly bigger then him

Bet the young bloke was impressed at dads fishing skillls, though he seems to have them too.

Pity about the big one but it just adds to the story now of 'the one that got away', the young bloke will be talking about it for a while I bet.

Cheers

ive been getting about 4 to 5 a night at the wharf but had the ocasional good night with 8. i had three perfect bait size calamari come right up onto the steps in front of me on thursday night but they wouldnt take a jig. if a had a landing net i rekon i would of been able to get them, they were very dosile.

is this from the place im thinking of :1naughty::1naughty:

pitty about the big girl you lost eh,sounds like it was a real trophy one eh......

ive noticed the odd smaller bite sized squid come in around pylons etc and as you have said very shy....

ive been getting some massive ones from 25cm to 40cm hoods last 6 - 8 weeks...

donated my fav jig to one of 2 last night i originally thought were rays cruisin the shallows... aprox 60 - 70 cm hoods and over a foot wide (inc wings) :1yikes: , by the time i got another jig on they dissapeared...

easily the biggest i have seen inside and even off the rocks thats a massive squiddie....

hey mick its ethan from the club great jews there pretty big suckers did u go to windamere outing i didn't had stuff going on with my job the weather was pretty bad too don't know if ron or anyone caught fish there. you coming friday night

seabee113.4

Edited by seabee113.4

took my 4 yr old son down to berowra for his first fish in a boat today (sunday 5th october) to see if he followed in his fathers footsteps and while i was still rigging up he allready had a nice flatty on about 45cm, the excitement on his face said a thousand words. After that we both got a few small soapys and then i got i nice flathead about 48cm. things started to get a bit quiet so i moved to the other side of the river (a secret family spot) and put on some large strips of fresh squid. within ten minutes i got a 5lb jewy on my light rod and within another ten minutes a hooked up on a 8lb jew. after about another 20 minutes i hooked up on something big on my heavy gear. this thing ran like a freight train for about 150mtrs then i turn him, for about 45minutes i played him, i even had boats stop to spectate. i finally got him close to the boat and my son got the gaff ready. he came up from the deep then i saw a large flash of a huge jewy tail and then he ran again did some big head shakes and then he was gone. he had to be at least 50 - 60 lb for what i saw and felt (disapointment +++). when i pulled in my line the hook 8.0 had almost been straightened (big fish). After re rigging i threw out another big bait hoping to get his brother and within another 10 minutes "bang" off the drag went. i fought this fish for about 15minutes and then got him in (14lb jew), Nice fish but nothing like the one before. overall the weather, fishing and company was perfect and went home with about 25lb of fish so i cant complain

ill have to get the big one next week :)post-5094-1223219658_thumb.jpg

Great catch & outing,Something the little bloke will remember for a long time :1prop:

Regards Jeff

is this from the place im thinking of :1naughty::1naughty:

pitty about the big girl you lost eh,sounds like it was a real trophy one eh......

ive noticed the odd smaller bite sized squid come in around pylons etc and as you have said very shy....

ive been getting some massive ones from 25cm to 40cm hoods last 6 - 8 weeks...

donated my fav jig to one of 2 last night i originally thought were rays cruisin the shallows... aprox 60 - 70 cm hoods and over a foot wide (inc wings) :1yikes: , by the time i got another jig on they dissapeared...

easily the biggest i have seen inside and even off the rocks thats a massive squiddie....

yeh its the spot your thinking about, i got a massive one to about 2 weeks ago with a hood about 40cm

hey mick its ethan from the club great jews there pretty big suckers did u go to windamere outing i didn't had stuff going on with my job the weather was pretty bad too don't know if ron or anyone caught fish there. you coming friday night

seabee113.4

no i didnt go to windemere because of the weather i spoke to paul and the weather was real bad so we didnt miss out on anything. yeh i should be there friday night