Vhf Problems

punchn2

Hi all... I have a navman VHF radio, i was out on saturday and had no problems hearing everyone elses conversations,i was off jervis bay n was hearing wollongong, i also was able to talk to boats at close range IE 5 miles but was later told it was very scratchy n i was hard to understand, other boats that i tried to contact (even though i could hear there transmissions to other boats perfectly clear, and could hear them calling for me)later told me they hadnt heard me all day, so i think im receiving transmissions with no problems but im transmitting out very poorly, ive gone over all the wiring and its in good order the exterior of the aerial looks good but cant be certain if theres any damage internally.... anyone got any suggestions?

Might be worth checking the microphone. I've had to replace a few in the past.

Open it up and have a look - a lot of dirt, salt, etc can accumulate.

If you have a mate with the same unit then it is quite easy to change over the mike from his unit to check that your set is okay.

Only ideas are battery connection and fuse just double check they are perfect along with any other electrical connections and try it with all other electronics on the boat turned off including motor . We had a sounder that would cause interference on transmit. We rerouted cables but in the end moved them more than 2 feet apart and made sure all cables were straight not coiled. the sounder had other issues later on but that is another story.

Edited by pelican

Two way radios are an interesting breed. It is not uncommon for people to hear other people's transmission but not be heard in return. This is where message relaying is required to be used.

Your signal may not be reaching the intended boat although you can hear them.

Next time before you go out ask for a radio check from the Coast Guard or a base station.

I would firstly see if some you know in the local area who may have a VHF radio and that could communicate with you.

This would then allow you to do a process of elimination.

1. It would only be an issue with the radio if it has had any water penetration and is getting old as they may need to be re-calibrated or a general service .This would be recommend because they can check out put power and modulation (Voice) to see if there are any problems and realine them.

2. Microphones will or will not work. Static does not come from microphones.

3. Check the antenna connection for corrosion, if in doubt cut it of and resolder a new one on (you can buy them from Dick Smith). This will not affect the pre tuned antenna providing you don't cut off more than 15cm of coax cable.

If you need someone to look at the installation contact your local coast guard, or buy a GME Radio.

Good Luck.