Metals With Rusty Hooks

stricko4

G'day Raiders,

After a nice session on Friday night where I snagged about a 1/2 dozen nice tailor on metals I noticed that I had a number of metals that had rusty hooks & split rings in the tackle box. Never having attempted to replace these before I thought it might be a good little project for Sunday while watching the Bathurst race. Off I go to the local tackle store & get some advice on what was needed & home i go with a couple of different sized trebbles, several sized split rings, some single hooks suitable for use on metals & a pair of split ring pliers.

Looking at things & even though I'm not the most dexterous when it comes to working with fiddly little things like this I thought this can't be too difficult. Well bugger me it is a pain in the butt isn't it. I've only managed to get a couple changed with much swearing & cursing.

What I'm asking here is if there are any secret method to make this job any easier. Or is it a case of perseverance & practice & get on with it?? The problem I seem to be having is opening the split ring wide enough to feed the metal onto it without stretching it to the point where it remains partly open & therefore liable to snag line. I can manage to get the hooks on without too much problem.

Any hints or advice would be GREATLY appreciated

Paul

Edited by kingys what kingys?

Did you get a pair of split ring pliers? They come in different sizes depending on the size of split rings you're putting on and they make the job a lot easier, without opening the rings up too much.

Try changing trebles on little bream lures. They're REALLY frustrating.

Cheers.

Edited by royboy

G'day Paul,

You could also try using slightly larger or heavier gauge split rings... that should help get them onto the lure without distorting them too much. I've also found that cheap split rings have more of a tendency to deform than better quality ones. I think it must be a better grade of steel or something.

Definitely invest in a pair of split ring pliers as all have suggested though.. if you value your fingernails and sanity :insane:

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks guys... got the pliers ans yes I can open the rings up but i seem to be opening then TOO wide stretching the rings to the point they don't close properly after I've fed the metal on. Do i need bigger split rings??

Edited by kingys what kingys?

G'day,

A great trick when replacing a treble only is to get your new hook and prise open the ring just enough to feed it on. Don't worry about first removing the old hook. Once you have the new hook on, force it and the old hook (simultaneously) around the ring. The new hook will snap into place and the old hook will fall off, more or less at the same time.

This saves a lot of frustration and torn thumbnails.

Cheers

Most lures come with poor quality split rings that won't survive many openings, I replace all my split rings with owner ones before they even hit the water.

Definitely. I use the same brand (Owner) and have had no problems with them stretching.

Hodgey

Thanks guys. Looks like another visit to the tackle shop to pick up some Owner split rings & I'll start again.

Paul

Yes as the others have said, good quality split rings (I also use the owner stuff) and a set of correctly sized split ring pliers ( I have a set of smiths split ring pincers for the tiny stuff and a set of snowpeak splitring pliers for the small to medium)

Put on the glasses and sit at the dinner table in good light. This has helped stem the flow of blood which generally ensues when I try to do it while on or near the water. :thumbdown:

This works for me , hope it helps

Some of the split ring pliers are too big for real small rings.

I use a pair of braid scissors that have the splitring bit on the front. It is a pretty fine point tht only just opens the ring far enough (and they were cheap). That would help stop stratching your ring.

Dave

I've found that all depends on the quality of the hooks, if you're forever changing the hooks no matter how small the split ring opener is the rings won't last forever.

I have a pair of braid scissors with a very tiny spit ring opener and the rings didn't last long so I decided to save some money in the long run and buy all new owner rings.

It may cost more but it's worth it to replace all the hooks and split rings from day one, not only are the owner split rings stronger and better quality but the hooks are far superior to anything that's on the lure to begin with unless of course it already came with owner products or another brand of similar quality.

Spend money to save money and time.

Edited by reLapse