Advice Needed On Yamaha 4 Stroke

jewfishrobby

hi guys and dolls i have a 2006 yamaha which when i purchased it i only got a digital taco with it i have recently purchased a digital speedo for it and i was wondering if it is a simple plug in thing do i have to buy a cable for it etc etc etc any help would be greatly appericated. :wacko: spose i should have check all this out before i brought the speedo LOL

Sorry don't know the exact answer but my 2 bobbies worth. There will be a free connector on the loom which will power it and also turn it on and off with the motor I would have thought but it will also need a "paddle wheel" that sits on the transom in the waterflow.

Forget the guage is my personal opinion and use the GPS for speed it is so much simpler and more accurate. Even if you borrow one then just note the speeds at different revs write a note and then you know. Either way you will generally drive the boat where you hear the motor isn't working hard ( laboring) at midrange revs, at slow troll or flat out. You'll be driving to comfort depending on conditions rather than to any particular speed.

Edited by pelican

What is the HP rating. Yammies 40hp & above have a speedo connection . It is not electric but driven by pressure through a small plastic tube from the motor to the guage.

Below 40hp , not sure. Check your hand book or call a Yamime dealer. The other way to check , at the bottom of the leg , below the cavatation plate , on the leading edge is a small hole , about the size of a pin head.

It can be difficult to locate. If no hole then no spedo facility.

If you need to go with Plan "B" then I agree with Pelican , use a GPS. I have a paddle wheel , it came with the water temp gauge. Up to about 10 knots it reads a similar speed to the Yammie gauge.

Above 10 knots is progressivly moves out of sinc to the point at WOT there is nearly 100% varience.

I know to Yammie gauge is accurate as I have checked it against a GPS

Regards

Geoff

What is the HP rating. Yammies 40hp & above have a speedo connection . It is not electric but driven by pressure through a small plastic tube from the motor to the guage.

Below 40hp , not sure. Check your hand book or call a Yamime dealer. The other way to check , at the bottom of the leg , below the cavatation plate , on the leading edge is a small hole , about the size of a pin head.

It can be difficult to locate. If no hole then no spedo facility.

If you need to go with Plan "B" then I agree with Pelican , use a GPS. I have a paddle wheel , it came with the water temp gauge. Up to about 10 knots it reads a similar speed to the Yammie gauge.

Above 10 knots is progressivly moves out of sinc to the point at WOT there is nearly 100% varience.

I know to Yammie gauge is accurate as I have checked it against a GPS

Regards

Geoff

hi there and thanks for the advice it is a 40hp would you by any chance know do i have to buy another electrical cable or are they run through with the taco wirering ?? i havent recieved the speedo yet so i havent spoken to the mechanic yet any way thanks for your replies

hi there and thanks for the advice it is a 40hp would you by any chance know do i have to buy another electrical cable or are they run through with the taco wirering ?? i havent recieved the speedo yet so i havent spoken to the mechanic yet any way thanks for your replies

I assume it is a geniun Yammie speedo , if so , as previously mentiond the speedo runs on pressure via a thin plastic tube . The only electrics are those to power the dash lights. This can be easily hooked up to the lights from your other gauges.

If you don't use the boat at night the dash lights nor really necessary

If not geniun Yammie then the connecting process could have many variabls , but note my comment on the accuracy / in accuracy of a paddle wheel system

Personnaly I would stay with the Yammie speedo as connecting to the moter / instalation is very easy

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I assume it is a geniun Yammie speedo , if so , as previously mentiond the speedo runs on pressure via a thin plastic tube . The only electrics are those to power the dash lights. This can be easily hooked up to the lights from your other gauges.

If you don't use the boat at night the dash lights nor really necessary

If not geniun Yammie then the connecting process could have many variabls , but note my comment on the accuracy / in accuracy of a paddle wheel system

Personnaly I would stay with the Yammie speedo as connecting to the moter / instalation is very easy

Geoff

thanks heaps mate and yes it is a geniun yamaha speedo