Forster

glennmreid

I just returned from a 9 day stay in Forster with my wife and newborn son, James. I managed to find a great holiday house in Forster Keys, right on the waterfront. This place had it's own pontoon and boat ramp.

post-3324-1224649200_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1224649188_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1224649212_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1224649222_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1224649876_thumb.jpg

Did plenty of fishing, both land and boat based. The fishing was slow at times, and was difficult with the large tides from the full moon. The tide races up in Forster.

On the 1st night, I thought that I would fish the pontoon outside of our place. I threw out a prawn, but didn't expect much. Not long after, my drag starts to sounds. After a short fight, I brought in this lovely 35cm, 700gram whiting.

post-3324-1224649252_thumb.jpg

Over the next couple of days, caught plenty of flathead and small bream. Kept getting good bites, but failed to hook up loads of times. My best flattie was a 1.4kg, 49cm flattie. Again, caught from the pontoon outside of our place.

post-3324-1224649275_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1224649291_thumb.jpg

Then, I heard stories of a predator lurking around Wallis Lake getting into the local flathead. I had to confirm whether these stories were true, or a local myth. So, armed with my camera and fearing for my life, I went on the hunt. I was successful. I managed to take a few shots of the predator. Does anyone recognise the predator??

post-3324-1224649322_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1224649332_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1224649343_thumb.jpg

Yes, it is the lovely local Forster icon, Roberta. We caught up for a blackie session. The fishing was slow, but we did have a few downs. The fish were there, but hard to catch. It didn't matter, it is always great to catch up with Roberta. A real pleasure.

Here are a couple of family shots:

post-3324-1224649372_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1224649382_thumb.jpg

Great report Glenn. The accomodation set-up sounds brilliant! :thumbup:

Good to see you found a few fish to compliment the holiday.

Be careful of that 'orange-flagged-yak' monster! It is known to strike the unwary with a florish of hard-bodied and plastic missiles! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

Top report Glenn :thumbup:

You picked a great place to stay. Seems like a great family spot. I'm a bit disappointed James didn't go fishing with you. What's his problem? :074: Although, give him a few years and he'll be probably teaching you a thing or two!

Nice whiting and bream. Got to be happy with them, especially from your own "backyard" so to speak.

Roberta ... the Predator ... :074::074::074: Brilliant! Did you get her autograph? :1prop:

It looks like you have a great family and you had a great time. Onya!

Cheers

Peter

Hi Glenn

Good to see you arrived home safely with Janet & James - looks like you took the nice weather with you too! :1yikes: It's been raining heavily since last night! :(

Good news is that Cola reckons it will fine up by the weekend, for when I go down to Wisemans Ferry for the weekend! :) :)

I wish I'd known you were there the other day - I hooked 2 nice flatties & a bream & spooked a really big flattie over the weed beds in just over 30cm of water! I was trying to catch whiting on poppers, but only had a few chasers over the sand flats. Still had fun tho! :)

Did you see the bloke in the yellow yak (with wheels) paddle up the lake?? He'd come from Brisbane & is his way to Sydney!

That house looks terrific!! You should come up in March next year for the Forster Fishing Carnival!!! Book rooms out to other Fishraiders ........ hmmmm, that could be a goer!!

Well done on the terrific whiting & flattie, caught right on your back doorstep! With the prawns running just now, prawns are a gun bait!

Sorry we couldn't whistle up some blackies for you, tho we saw heaps! Everyone is complaining about it!

When the weather fines up a bit, the Predator will be on the Prowl again ..... probably next week after returning from Sydney!

Great catching up again, looking forward to fishing together again next time!

Cheerio

Roberta

March next year sounds like a good plan Roberta! I thought about contacting you when I saw you in the yak, but I didn't want to disturb you. I could see you were having fun out there. We actually watched you for 1/2 hour. I love Forster. It was great to catch up again. Looking forward to next time! Hope you have fun at Wisemans. I am thinking of taking the boat there myself for a day, maybe on Saturday. Might see you there if you are out on the water on Saturday.

What a great looking location. I think I need to take an urgent holiday in Forster. (waterfront Hmm! close to golf courses Hmm! and outside of mobile phone/ e-mail range?? :throw: )

Good luck to you - Pleased that you had a great time.

regards Bill :biggrinthumb:

It was actually cheaper to rent the holiday house for the 9 nights rather than pay for a motel. We had a 3 bedroom, 2 storey townhouse right on the water. It had its own pontoon & boat ramp. Fully furnished. All we had to take is food, clothes & toiletries. For the 9 nights, it worked out roughly $85 per night.

You picked a great place to stay. Seems like a great family spot. I'm a bit disappointed James didn't go fishing with you. What's his problem? :074: Although, give him a few years and he'll be probably teaching you a thing or two!

Nice whiting and bream. Got to be happy with them, especially from your own "backyard" so to speak.

Roberta ... the Predator ... :074::074::074: Brilliant! Did you get her autograph? :1prop:

Cheers

Peter

I should've got Roberta's authograph. She is a legend up in Forster. :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

Yeah, bloody James. If only he knew how to fish, rather than spook them away with his crying :074: Took him on the boat, he seemed to enjoy it.

Great report Glenn. The accomodation set-up sounds brilliant! :thumbup:

Good to see you found a few fish to compliment the holiday.

Be careful of that 'orange-flagged-yak' monster! It is known to strike the unwary with a florish of hard-bodied and plastic missiles! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

You are right Hodgey, got to watch the orange flagged yak monster. It is a tell tale sign the predator is around. When I saw the flag on the water, the theme song from jaws comes to mind :074:

Great report - love the way you introduced Roberta into the photo montage. I've never met or spoken directly with her, yet I immediately recognised her in the photos - the power of Fishraider eh?

Also, how hilarious (and yet predictable) that your best fishing would end up being right off the pontoon in front of the house. Makes you wonder why you bother with the boat doesn't it?! The number of times I've spent all day out in the boat for nil and then wandered down to the beach and cleaned up during an evening session is something I find quite amusing.

Anyway thanks for a good read.

Great report - love the way you introduced Roberta into the photo montage. I've never met or spoken directly with her, yet I immediately recognised her in the photos - the power of Fishraider eh?

Also, how hilarious (and yet predictable) that your best fishing would end up being right off the pontoon in front of the house. Makes you wonder why you bother with the boat doesn't it?! The number of times I've spent all day out in the boat for nil and then wandered down to the beach and cleaned up during an evening session is something I find quite amusing.

Anyway thanks for a good read.

I'm yet to catch a fish from my boat. I think it is jinxed. How true you are about catching fish from your door step. It seems at times the simplest ways seem to catch the fish. All good fun though!

hehehehe funny you should say that Glenn

......I'm yet to catch a fish from my boat...... I don't seem to have much luck with boats either! Much more luck in the yak! :)

OMG! :1yikes: Everyone will be calling me The Predator soon!!! May have to change my site name! :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

If the weather is fine, both Sails & I should be out & about in our yaks Saturday from mid afternoon on to ......dusk maybe?? We won't have our partners to worry about, so can fish our little hearts out! :) If it is wet, Sails may not stay & I will be on my lonesome ..... STOP RAINING!!!! COME ON SUN!!!

I reckon you must have been watching me when the big schools of 'blue' whitebait came around the yak in their thousands! I was madly casting into the middle of them, trying to get a real predator to attack! That bottom photo looks a weird cast! The net is still on the front of the yak, so I wasn't retrieving anything???

Edited by Roberta