Nepean @ Penrith

glennmreid

HI Guys,

I decided to have a fish in the Nepean at Penrith today. I have nevr fished this spot before, so I didn't know what to expect. I gotp my spot, and spotted some good bass in the shallows. I threw out my smith bisen lure, a few winds the a big splash! After a short fight, got him near my feet and I thought, where is my net? I turned around got my net, and then it happened. Bloody fish got off! Estimare would be around 40cm.

Then it all quitened down after that. I spotted some other fish feeding near the surface, so I decided to float fish with some bread. After changing down my hook size, as my bait was been nibbled and no hooks ups, I finally hooked into a solid fish. After a good fight, I landed this 1.6kg, 45cm freshwater mullet! Couldn't believe how big fish fish grow. Few more casts, plenty of bites, but just couldn't get into anymore fish. Still a good few hours fishing!

post-3324-1225174043_thumb.jpg

hi glenn,

good fish!! they are great fun to catch on light line when they are decent size. every now and then I go after them at a favorite spot of mine at brooklyn and usually catch anywhere from 4 or 5 to a dozen mixed with a few gar. They make great bait and arent bad eating either from that end of the river. I usually eat a couple the night I catch them then freeze the remaining fillets and gut for bream - a bit of bread for berly a small piece of peeled prawn on a small hook under a quill float and bobs your uncle!

well done.

Pete.

Shame you lost the nice bass, Glenn, but well done on that magnificent mullet!! Don't forget they smoke up really nicely too! :)

Now you know where the bass are ....... YOU'LL BE BACK!!

Roberta

Shame you lost the nice bass, Glenn, but well done on that magnificent mullet!! Don't forget they smoke up really nicely too! :)

Now you know where the bass are ....... YOU'LL BE BACK!!

Roberta

I'll have to try that next time and keep a mullet for home. Didn't know that they are good on the eating side.

Well done Chopper75, those Penrith mullet go like the clappers on light gear.

I have to agree with Day's fishin about the taste though, I took some home years ago and you would have sworn I was frying mud in the kitchen, it smelled revolting and tasted about the same :puke: , their nothing like their saltwater cousins when it comes to eating quality.

Better luck with bass next time.

Cheers,

Smitty...

Of the different mullett I think that is a Flat Tail Mullett. They look slightly different and have a different coloured eye. The bully Mullett are the biggest of them.

Hi Plankton,

I had no idea what type of mullet it was, so I think you are right.

Well done Chopper75, those Penrith mullet go like the clappers on light gear.

I have to agree with Day's fishin about the taste though, I took some home years ago and you would have sworn I was frying mud in the kitchen, it smelled revolting and tasted about the same :puke: , their nothing like their saltwater cousins when it comes to eating quality.

Better luck with bass next time.

Cheers,

Smitty...

They do fight well on light gear Smitty. Load of fun catching them. Just as well I released hom if they do have a muddy taste. Don't think the :wife: would appreciate it if I started to cook them and it smelt like the bank of the Nepean in the kitchen :074: