First & Last Cast, Busted Off By Monsters!

arpie

Hi guys

Wendy & I met up this morning to chuck some sps around Tuncurry in the hope of catching some flatties ....... and on my first 20m cast, I am retrieving it when a flattie jumps on, swimming with the tide towards me! Suddenly it sees the yak & takes off! The rod is bent in half & in the water as I try to turn the head of the beast! I am tied up to a pole & managed to keep the line from hitting the edge of the floating racks ..... it goes under the kayak, heading towards the pole! I yell to Wendy ..... I've got a monster on & she sees the bend in the rod! "Good luck'' she replies!!! "OMG I can't turn it, it's got me round the pole ......" PING!! It was a GOOD FISH!!!

BUMMER!!!! Tide was rising & it was quite a while before I got another hit - a fellow yakker was visiting from Scone & had put in an order for some fish, so both Wendy & I were now trying to get some flatties for Steve!! Wendy soon had 2 in the bag & I had none! :( I was still re-living the fight! Heading around the front of the leases, I latch onto a nice 40cm flattie & am glad to get it into the bag. Then I go up to the DANGER ZONE ...... the Fixed Racks!!! :1yikes: Usually good fish there, but a good chance of losing them to the racks ..... on about my 4th cast, it comes up tight & then starts going left, right, left again! :1yikes:

Damn!! It's taken me under the racks & around a pole :ranting2: .... I'd upgraded to 14lb vanish & tried to skulldrag it out from the pole ..... YAY! :yahoo: Out he comes!! Into the net!! Woohoo! The leader is totally shredded & a 53cm flattie is in the bag too! The next one tosses the hook just as I am about to net it!

Earlier in the day, I'd bumped into one of the Forster young guns (still at school) who just loves sp fishing ....... and told him I was using a big jig head with a 100mm squidgy - he couldn't believe it!! He uses 2g jigheads & wrigglers & had caught about 12 flatties, but all 'just legal' or under (altho he got one over 80cm the other day!!) Keep an eye on ETs TV show - when he does the Forster Fishing Carnival, Reece should be on it, as he went out with ET! Anyway, I gave him this monster jig head & 2 silver foxes, a 65mm & a rather chewed 100mm! Later on, Just before I picked up the 53cm flattie, I heard a-whoooping & a-hollering ........ then silence! I figured he'd got one & lost it.

Talk about a Good one - he reckoned it was 1m long & he just had no show of turning its head! And he was in a boat! He was totally exhilarated but destroyed in the one capture! He needed another jighead, so I gave him another one & within 1/2hr, he'd lost that (& the other squidgy) to a good flattie too! All in less than 1m of water! He wasn't used to fishing the racks! :(

Stephen arrived & we handed over 4 flatties, (2 flatties each from Wendy & I) to him & his family & they were stoked! They'd driven from Scone & had a long drive home.

53cm flattie

post-2231-1225535107_thumb.jpg

Wendy & I continued fishing & even tried for mullet, as STeve had brought some fresh bread for us.> I had one nice one on, but it spat the hook as I was about to boat it. It was getting later in the day, so my mind may have been wandering a bit - usually when that happens, I start hitting the racks & getting snagged all the time ..... this time, I'd lost my bigger jigheads (or given them away) so was using a small squidgy bullet head. After casting, I allowed extra time for it to 'get down' & whilst I was daydreaming, I felt the line tighten in my hand & there was an almighty explosion of water as this great fish launched itself out of the water & landed with a huge splash!! It could only be a jewie! We were in about 1m of water, but there were heaps of small mullet around & I was using the silver fox squidgy (once again!) I had heard of jewies being caught in the channel there & later, The Young Gun also confirmed that they preyed around the leases!

Immediately, it started taking copious quantities of line & I just couldn't hold it - no chance in hell of turning its head & it powered away under the leases & skunked me in about 5 seconds!! Wendy had heard the huge splash & was paddling towards me to see what was happening. Nothing much by the time she got there!!! :(

Talk about an exciting day on the water, tho! Lots of fun was had by all! Can't wait for the next trip out on the water!

Cheerio

Roberta

You are dead set on fire lately. it sounds like yet another great trip of yours. unlucky about those couple of big bruisers though. when is the best time to catch lizards up there ? I may have to bring the boat and get an expert (you) to teach me a bit about sp's one w/end. I assume around january it would fire is that right or are there better months?

pete.

Hi Pete

Personally, up here, I prefer the hour or 2 leading to the top of the tide to the hour or 2 after the change of tide. Others swear by the last of the out tide.

Best time to catch lizards here - from Spring/September thru to end of summer. Bring up an assortment of Squidgy Silver Fox (from 65mm to 100mm ...... even bigger if you want to try for jew off the breakwall) & big jigheads (up to Mr Twister size and bigger for the breakwall) We can try the wall together, too!

January can be a bit frustrating, because of the increase in boating traffic which can show as a reduced catch, but where we go, not many boats do!! So long as it has a shallow draft & you don't mind the odd scratch or 2 on the sides! :biggrin2:

Not long till Jan now!!! Heading up to Port on Wed for Keith's 1/2 Ironman, so will be away till the following Mon/Tues, then guests arriving!

Cheerio

ROberta

Did you get out this weekend????

hope Keith does well in the iron man! wish him luck for me. I havent fished yet this weekend but i am hoping to wet a line tomorrow night. My boat can get in some pretty shallow water so it should be OK, as for a few scratches, it wouldnt be a real fishing boat without that would it? my boat should be good to stand and cast from with the flat floor.

I might organize a fish with you early in the new year after school goes back from holidays it should be a bit quieter up there then. I'll talk to you when I can swing it to come up.

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

Hi Roberta.

Great report u always get some dicent fish, and always keep us on our toes with your reports. One Question im really keen on kayak fishing, i noticed u have a really good looking yak, i was wondering how much u payed for it and where u get them designs from. it looks like your one is really made out for fishing. Can u give me some info on it, just PM me if u like.. Thanks and better luck next time with da big ones.

CHEERS. Garry.

Hi Garry

You can't beat the Hobie Mirage for Yak fishing - as soon as you are in the water, you are casting (not paddling!!) I rarely use an anchor as I can hold my position with the pedals (or use a rope to tie off to a rack or pole if in the racks) whereas normal paddle yaks do a lot of paddling & less fishing! :wacko: Having said that, I have both a 'sit in' and the Hobie.

There is currently a Hobie Revolution for sale in the FR Swap & Sell at a very good price!!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...91&hl=hobie

The Revo is longer than my SPORT & the preferred yak of choice by many! It is the one that Paulo caught his 78kg marlin from earlier this year at SWR!!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=28912

If you are looking for a fishing yak, put your pennies aside & go for a Hobie! I believe Gofish Pete has one in stock now ........

Roberta

You're not having much luck with the bigguns Roberta :( Locked drag, ugraded fluro, and constant side-ways pressure applied at water level is the only way to drag these brutes from the racks ... oh,and a great deal of luck :biggrin2:

Gee those Siver Fox fish have been productive for you. I found some amongst my plastics on Saturday :1yikes: The BIG flatties are moving at the moment, with a lot of them hanging around where you, Kim and Starlo were fishing ... and so are the big tailor (Deno lost 4 poppers in a session last Sunday apparently). Shocking weather here this weeend. It would blow a dog off a chain. :ranting2:

Well done on another successful sojourn with Wendy. Good luck to Keith!

Cheers

Hodgey

Hi Hodgey

.....The BIG flatties are moving at the moment, with a lot of them hanging around where you, Kim and Starlo were fishing ... and so are the big tailor (Deno lost 4 poppers in a session last Sunday).....

Good to see you found the 'spot'!! Nice little 'bay' there amongst the shallows ..... hope Deno's lures were of the cheaper variety ..... might be worth putting a bit of wire trace above them to limit the damage when targetting the Tailor - I don't think it would put them off at all!! I saw 3 $25 lures disappear in 5 mins flat when I was there! :( I would love to see someone land that 3kg monster that Stewie Hindson saw the other week!

....Locked drag, upgraded fluro, and constant side-ways pressure applied at water level is the only way to drag these brutes from the racks....

Gotta agree with that - the one downside of yakking is that because your rear end is just 2cm from the water & you are very easily towed, you don't have the added 'pressure' that you get from standing in the boat, pulling upwards, when hooked onto a monster in the racks! You sort of apply as much pressure as you dare & just hope you can turn their heads before they skunk you, but there is not much room for error! I had to laugh at the Young Gun - he is going into the Flathead Classic here next March & was surprised at the size of the flatties he hooked yesterday! Mustn't have been fishing in the right areas previously! :wacko: And he was standing up in a boat! Mind you, he had 2lb braid & 6lb leader ....... I suggested he have 2 rods, one with 20lb braid & 20lb leader ....... perhaps I should follow my own advise!! :tease:

Give the Silver Fox a go & don't be afraid to use a bigger jighead! It gets that little tail going like the clappers!!

We have a lovely day here today!!! No wind (unlike the last 2 days.) I am having a break from yakking today, to save myself for Port during the week! :) Will get stuck into the blackies again & maybe even take the yak!

God I wish i'd got that last fish to the yakside ....... next time, with the 20lb line! :) May even need to be 20lb mono right thru to deal with the big mommas I am losing too much tackle!!

Roberta

Nice work Roberta,

The adrenalin gets pumping every time zi get into hte "Danger Zone" and I can only imagine what it would be like in a Yak, i'm looking forward to getting up there soon and catching up for a fish and ill be able to find out first hand about Yaks in Racks :1prop:

shame about losing the Biggun, sounds like it could well have been a Jew, hopefully you get one soon

Mitch

Hi Glenn

....Are jewies a common catch in the lakes...... I think they are a well kept secret - I only hear about the ones that get away!! Different story on the breakwall tho - lots landed (but not by me - my big ones always bust me off!! 'Cos I only hook them when fishing for bream!! :( )

Hey Mitch - you'll enjoy having a go at them from the yaks!! Real 'seat of your pants' stuff!!! (Once you get over the 'I don't want to scratch it' syndrome! :1prop: )

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Glenn

....Are jewies a common catch in the lakes...... I think they are a well kept secret - I only hear about the ones that get away!! Different story on the breakwall tho - lots landed (but not by me - my big ones always bust me off!! 'Cos I only hook them when fishing for bream!! :( )

Hey Mitch - you'll enjoy having a go at them from the yaks!! Real 'seat of your pants' stuff!!! (Once you get over the 'I don't want to scratch it' syndrome! :1prop: )

Cheerio

Roberta

We'll have to do a jewie session off the breakwall next time. That would be awesome. Would love to get into a jewie :thumbup:

Hi Roberta,

That was an awesome read. It is always exiciting to read your report. By the way,

I think that squidgie should start sponsering. After all, you give them plenty of plugs

and advertising :1prop: . I just got back from Lake Cathie today. Got loads of prawns

on saturday night (yum) and got plenty of flatties on the plastics. It was a good weekend

considering the lake was not running.

Cheers,

Luke

Hi Cam - there aren't any leases in Narrabeen Lake, are there? Shame!! Come on up for a fish! :) Really exciting, seat of your pants stuff!!

Hi Luke - well done on the prawns & Flatties at lake Cathie - I have only fished it for Blackies last year with Ross Hunter & his buddies. Great fun. Shame it is not open to the sea - the locals prefer it to be open. My Silver Fox is my 'Go To' sp for flatties! I have heaps of others & try them on occasion, but the Silver Fox works pretty well every time & produces a feed! :) Funnily enough, I have the name 'Squidgies' on my Sit In yak! :1prop:

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

That report's an adrenalin pumper for sure :1yikes:

There's lots of scientific discussion about the variables that effect fish growth rates... water quality, food availability, population density, etc. I think though that the variable with the single greatest effect of the growth rate of fish is having been hooked and lost :074:

I feel for you losing those good fish but it sounds like you were having more fun than the early settlers. Mrs Slinky has OK'd the aquisition (at some stage) of an electric motor for my boat so hopefully next Spring I'll get to Forster and fish some of those racks too. If you see a large, strange looking man following your yack, frantically putting waypoints into his GPS, that'll be me.

Great report Roberta. :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

That was a great read Roberta, really enjoyed it. My Dad's also been done by big jewies a few times fishing with nippers for bream etc off the Camden Haven breakwall just north of you. Fun while it lasts anyway!

Just a question - I noticed the four rods in your yak. I only ever take two for sp fishing. What's your different set up and ideas with the four rods? I suppose one was for the mullet fishing?

Cheers

PM

Hi Slinky - look forward to having you drop in at Forster! I reckon we could really give those fish a scare!! :)

Hi PM - the one in the middle at the rear is actually my 'orange safety flag' made from an old Jarvis Walker rod & the corner of a V Sheet!! Just so I am more visible to stink boats! :) Yep - I did take on float setup ..... for mullet & blackies & hooked the one mullet but lost him. The other 2 rods - one for plastics & the other for hb (I only used the hbs out on the sand flats tho .... don't fancy losing any more to big bream & flatties in the leases!) :1yikes: Must have lost about 4 flattie rigs during the day on bustoffs .....

It was a really fun session! Just wish I could have stopped that last one!!! It reminded me of a big barra BOOF! :mad3: Ah well, I'll recognise him next time, by the bling hanging out of his mouth!

Roberta

I got some SX40s the other day, so look forward to trying them up at Port later this week!

hi roberta

funny you last comment ....

last flathead i caught at narrabeen lake was in amonst weed and sand .first cast on sp ,and bang felt the weight then knot slipped = lost fish .picked up my second sp rod cast back to the same spot and bang fish on good fight for a few minutes .and when he came in there was my lost sp hanging out of his mouth .had a laugh retreived my sps and released the fish :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Yep - I did take on float setup ..... for mullet & blackies & hooked the one mullet but lost him.

hey roberta next time i am up your way I will show you a spot where many years ago when i was just a lad, my mum and dad and myself caught 157 mullet in 1 hour!!

Hi PM - the one in the middle at the rear is actually my 'orange safety flag' made from an old Jarvis Walker rod & the corner of a V Sheet!! Just so I am more visible to stink boats! :) Yep - I did take on float setup ..... for mullet & blackies & hooked the one mullet but lost him. The other 2 rods - one for plastics & the other for hb (I only used the hbs out on the sand flats tho .... don't fancy losing any more to big bream & flatties in the leases!) :1yikes: Must have lost about 4 flattie rigs during the day on bustoffs .....

It was a really fun session! Just wish I could have stopped that last one!!! It reminded me of a big barra BOOF! :mad3: Ah well, I'll recognise him next time, by the bling hanging out of his mouth!

Roberta

I got some SX40s the other day, so look forward to trying them up at Port later this week!

Aahh makes sense, great set-up. In regards to the barra, it might not be that long with global warming that a barra takes a trip on the currents and pop's his nose into Forster, now that would be a sight :1yikes:

Actually, do you ever get mangrove jacks in Forster? Maybe that could be an unknown skunker that does you in the racks sometimes? I know they get the odd one in Port and Laurieton around the breakwalls - watch out SX40's!!! :fish_h4h:

Well done Craig on not only getting the flattie, but retrieving your gear!! :) Brilliant! They are a bit dumb, eh, sometimes stopping just metres from where they struck last! :wacko:

Look forward to the secret Mullet spot, Pete - they are beautiful eating when crumbed & cooked fresh & even nicer smoked :) They also give a really good fight! Exploding from the water as soon as they are hooked! Hmmmmm maybe it was a giant MULLET!!! :wacko:

Hi PM ....barra takes a trip on the currents and pop's his nose into Forster.......gee, that would be fun, but I bet it doesn't happen in my lifetime! :( I have heard of Mangrove jacks being caught at the Keys - the water there is very brackish & doesn't get 'changed' as regularly as the rest of the lake does (hence they advise not to swim there .... after 20 years of having 1000 triathletes swimming in it! :1yikes: )

....I know they get the odd one in Port...... maybe I'll just stick to blackies then!!! :074: I have been hoarding my hb for years, but don't want to use them in case I lose them! Figure that one out!! :tease:

Hope to spend a couple of days at Glenbawn with Wendy in a couple of weeks - can't wait to hit the bass!

Cheers

Roberta