How Much Would You Pay For A Live Squid On The Water ?

pustayo

Hay Guys Just getting your views, Would you buy a live squid on the water ? If so How much ? Etc Etc, Yes I know you can go out and catch them but what if you had no luck then what would you do or what if you ran out, Let me know Any feed back would be great

I remember about ten years ago before I knew how to catch squid. We were at the spit with six boats around us we had frozen servo squid and about five boats around had live squid and they were getting monstered by kings for about half an hour. I had a man cry : ) I would have paid $30 for a livie that day maybe more. Not any more though now about $29 :1prop:

Cheers,

Joe

Be very worried of the law on this one. At the point you are the buyer or seller of seafood there s big implications even if it is only for bait.

Fresh live bait is only as good as it is kept and the only way you know is if you get it yourself and look after it.

Edited by pelican

Well when we don't get any squid we resort to trying to get yakkas/slimies but i all is to no avail thenwe just use lures.

Never really bothered to go ask anyone else for their bait unless i know them, even then if its squid then firstly they'll want to use it as bait and whatever's left as Calamari. Thats atleast what I do.

Josh

I once pocketed 60 bucks for one squid (kid you not!!!), we were amongst 6 boats surrounding a channel marker in the harbour and we were landing KING after KING every cast!!!. the boats around us couldn't believe what they were seeing.

This old Italian couple pulled up beside us and offered me 60 dollars for the "same baita you a usinga!!", sure enough i handed over a half dead squid and they were straight into the kings!!!!..... paid for my day out!

I have contacted the DPI , and they have informed me that such an activity would be COMPLETELY ILLEGAL.

It would be classed as a commercial fishing venture within Port Jackson , which has a complete and total BAN on commercial fishing.

This may possibly change after 2011 , when the current legislation is due to expire , but at this time , it is not allowed.

Ross

Even if people are still desperate for a king you can get squid NO MATTER WHAT!!!! I have worked for as little as a hour, up to 10hrs for my squid then gone back and got more. More than a few other fellow fish raiders would testify to this, and have reaped the benefits of it, consequently you cant name a price for live squid. Not to mention the legality factor!!!!

I have been also approached to purchase a live squid off,,,, lets just say the response is very quick, how much you got mate, cause it aint enough

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

It's definately a contentious topic, but it could be likened to the pictures posted that have the background blacked out.

Meaning that as a fisho, we go out prepared as best as we possibly can. Plan B is a must! :biggrin2:

Whether that be with an esky full of fresh / frozen bait that was purchased at the local bait / tackle store;

or

With a tackle box full of shiny, rattling, flexible, hard or soft body / plastic lures;

or

With a bait pump / trap / live bait catching device / rig, etc.....

To purchase additional bait at the fishing grounds means that your not prepared adequately, and it's just not fishing in my opinion. :05:

It's like asking why was the background in your picture censored, and where did you catch that fish. :thumbdown:

The decision to proceed to the fishing grounds, from the bait grounds, ultimately lies with the fishos when they have decided that they have enough bait for the day. If the live / fresh bait is finished then apply plan B. :1fishing1:

What would you do with the same scenario, but no other boats fishing near you?

Anyway, that's my say :wacko:

Cheers

Mariner

There are lots of people here that could put there hands in the water and pull out a squid, but there are also lots of guys here that could fish all day and not catch one.

Having live squid is not a guarantee that it will be turned into a fish, especially in my hands.

I know if I was approached I would buy them, unless by some miracle, I could catch some myself that day.

Cheers

Greg

Squid are perhaps the easiest species to target and master. Best advice is, go out and dedicate two or three entire sessions on catching the buggers. You will be suprised by how much you will learn and also how suicidal these things are at times.

I'd give fishing away if i had to resort to buying live squid off a fellow fisho :1prop: .

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red