Hawkesbury River, Fri Sat Sun

MrGenius

Went up to the Hawkesbury for the weekend arriving on friday about 11:30am.

The incoming tide was slowing down so i thought i better get my gear all ready and wander down onto the pontoon and throw a line out.

First cast and my bait gets nailed midwater and im thinking this feels like a good bream but to my surprise its a small jew, mind you i have never caught a jewie before ever even after spending hours and hours in places people tell me they are frequently caught. Quick photo and back it went.

Second cast i feel a few taps and then something has a better go and i hook up to something that has a bit of go but no weight to it and up to the surface comes a little chopper. Out comes the hook and back he goes.

Third cast and another take mid water this time it has a lot more go than the last two fish and i fight it on the 12lb mono with a light drag when i see that nice big silver flash that i saw on the first cast its another soapie but this time its a better size at a touch under 50cm, few pics and back it went too.

The next hour or so was filled with some bream and a truckload of little choppers who were smashing everything we threw at them. As the tide started to speed up and we couldnt hold bottom without 5kg of lead we jumped in the boat to do a few drifts over some flats where we picked up a few more schoolies, squid, bream, choppers and a few nice flatties in the 45-55cm range. Everything went back in the drink except for the flatties which became dinner for my mum.

Sat and Sun were basically a repeat of friday but with no jews just all the other species.

All in all a good weekend and even better to have caught some jews even tho they werent massive :1fishing1:

Heres a couple of pics off my phone

post-1613-1226270315_thumb.jpg

post-1613-1226270332_thumb.jpg

post-1613-1226270341_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrGenius

G'day MrGenius

Great pics for a phone.

The sunrise, or is it sunset pic looks almost spooky.

Nice catch too. I only ever get the "soapy" jews as well. I guess we just have too persist until we get a big one. It would be no fun if they came too easy.

reeltired

They are good pictures, i'm guessing you have a good camera phone?

Nokia N95 with the 5 megapixel camera it takes some very good pics for what it is

Well done on the jewfish MrGenius! :thumbup: . Just a little unlucky catching soapies Nathan and not striking a couple of the Hawesbury's oversize models.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Byron, I was hoping a couple of the bigger ones were going to come to the party but it didnt happen! I had a live tailor out and a yacka aswell hoping but hey beggers cant be choosers and the little tackers were good enough for me!

if you don't mind me asking what did you use for bait ??

Peeled banana prawns from my local shopping centre fish market :biggrin2: