Which Kayak?

oldsalty

Hey all,

Im looking at a trip around oz and my boat is simply to much work to lug around and keep on the move. So ive decided a kayak would suit my needs best, but i have absolutely no idea about these things. I know there are heaps of kayak fans on this site so i was wondering if u could give me the lowdown?

I like the look of those hobies but do they have disadvantages over the paddle powered option?

The yak would have to be versatile ie, skinny freshwater, estuaries and rivers to close inshore pelagics etc...

I also tend to have a lower back injury from time to time. Do u guys ever feel it down there and are the pedal powered easy on ur back than the paddle ones?

Im sure ill have heaps more questions but they'll come out as i discover more!

any info much appreciated cheers

OLDsalTY

Hi oldsalty

I have a Percetpion sit in with paddles & the hobie Sit On with Mirage Pedals - and have also had a lower back problem! I can stay out all day in the Hobie without problem but would not be able to say the same about the 'sit in' for the same period of time. I would be trialling both types of yaks & making sure to take out your rod & lures to 'test' them!

Cheers

Roberta

|n really skinny water you just take the pedal drive out of the Hobie yak & just use the paddle instead - best of both worlds!

Im a huge advocate of the hobies with the pedal mirage drive. I love having my hands free and be able to move at the same time and Im faster with the drive than the paddles. Also the stealth factor in the estuarys is great, no clanging paddles! (I do love paddling but not when fishing). I have a Hobie Outback, which would best suit a begining yak fisher as they are heaps wide for extra stabilty. Balancing is not easy when your not used to it and trying it with a fish on is even harder, not neccessarily from the physical factor but because your mind can wander from the balancing act in all the excitement. Eventually you do it automatically, and the only problem I have now is in chop where the balancing is more unpredictable.

I have a terrible back, but it's no worse with the pedals or the paddles as long as you take it easy, the problem really is just sitting down for too long. But having a break every hour, even every 2 hrs, and having a stretch and a walk around really helps. I'd be very careful doing anything inshore, do plently of research before you try. I havent been game to try yet because my back can be really bad especially when Ive pushed it too hard, which you would have to do if the wind picks up. But if youre fit enough, and you pick the right time, conditions, location and you do a couple of trips with someone who has experience, then youre a lot safer. But learn your limits first in the estuarys.

The other problem you could have with the back is transporting the thing. I had to get a trailer for my yak because getting it on and off the cars roofracks killed me. The things only 25 kilos, but it puts your back in an awkward position to get it up and down. Still tho, I wouldnt trade it for the world, I love the thing and theres nothing like catching a fish off a yak!

Thanks guys,

Plenty of usefull info there.Im leaning towards the pedal powered option. Is hobie the only/best brand for these types?

Also can extras like sounders, downriggers, rod holders, gps etc be fitted to all models or only certain ones? im sure afew of these will come into play after purchase.

Thanks guys :)

Hobie is the only one to make the pedals that drive flippers, tho I think some other companies are attempting pedals that drive a propeller, but I havent heard much of them. The advantage of a hobie is that it is an actual fishing yak, so there are plenty of flush surfaces for mounting downriggers, sounders and rod holders etc. They have 4 molded rod holders in the body of the yak, which can be useful depending on your style of fishing, but many people decide to mount scottys etc. I have a couple of quick release holders that slot into the front molded ones and a white 5 barrel mortar looking thing I made that slots into the back holders to keep the reels out of the spray (you can see in my avatar). A lot of guys have run-of-the-mill yaks they have converted to fishers and, I dont know how, but they manage to bolt everything but the kitchen sink onto them. Where theres a will theres a way, but it would be so much easier on a hobie.

Just another note, I mentioned spray on the yak. It can get very wet sometimes and this can take a toll on your reels, so a good clean after trips and regular maintenance will see you through. For extra precautions especially for accidental dunkings (it happens), its worth getting something with a sealed drag. Dont take your nauseatingly expensive reels, get something that will do the job but will not make you want to kill yourself if you tip and loose it (it happens)

Edited by yakfishing

Are these kayaks quite comfy? I can not see my self lasting more than an hour sitting down!

Mate my lower back is rooted and I can last 3 hours and if the fishings hot, even longer. Yeah after that long I'm pretty sore, but most people would be fine. When the fishings good I can be tired, sore, hungry, thirsty and in dire need to fertilize the bushes but I won't notice a thing till I call it quits. But to answer your question they are more comfy than they look. They have good back support and you can always throw some more padding under your arse but even I don't need to most of the time.

I was recently out on a river down the south coast for nearly 9hrs in my yak & surprisingly, my back was fine!!! The seats on the hobies are adjustable (I recommend you sit more 'upright' then 'reclined') & easy to adjust as you require!

You sort of twist & stretch as you go along - as yakfishing said, you tend not to notice being thirsty or hungry or the need for a loo, until you reach 'home'! However, I would also recommend taking out a flask of water & 3 or 4 meuslie bars for munching!

Locodave - ring the hobie distributor & arrange a 'demonstration trial' - I was out for well over an hour when I trialled the Revolution at Huskisson early last year (and could have stayed out longer!)..... and I made sure I had my rod & lures with me before I took it out! :) It was terrific & instantly I knew I wanted one of these yaks to improve my fishing ability!

If you want to paddle a lot, then keep having to stop to anchor up, & fish a little ....... go for a paddle craft. If you want to fish from the moment you are in the water & not have to anchor up at all for most of the day, go for a Hobie! They are the ultimate stealth fishing machine. On occasions you do anchor up in a hobie & it is easy, once you have attached an 'anchor trolley' to the yak, where the anchor can be moved from the front to the rear or anywhere in between!! Hobies really hold their resale value too! Most are snapped up quickly when put on the market!

Take your rod with you & test any yak you are considering to buy!

Cheers

Roberta

comfort was a big concern for me as well, as im a big guy with a bad lower back but the tempo seating for me is very very comfortable and suportive . im sure if you buy a quality seat [ if your yak dosnt already come with one ] you should be ok .

my problem is cramping in the legs but i now streach out and move my legs around alot more and this seems to have fixed this problem ....

do some research , if possable test drive ,there are so many good yaks around just find one that suits your fishing style and needs and im sure you will love it ....

let us know what you get

cheers

craig