Six Hours, Good Conditions … Just 4 Fish Between Us

james7

After reading some fantastic Raider reports over the last few days, our effort last Saturday was a bit "slack". Secretly I was hoping to out-do Hodgey and Roberta. (Yes, a foolish ambition I know)

We headed out of Port Hacking full of confidence, despite the foreboding clouds. Syd even threw a gold coin in for good luck. :1yikes:

post-4381-1226310701_thumb.jpg

We trolled for an hour, then tried all the usually "good" flattie spots, covered a lot of territory, but could only find small ones. We must have landed at least twenty that were under 25cm! Eventually I managed a nice 47cm flattie (despite calling it another "small" one :wacko: ), and Syd followed it up half an hour later with a 53cm model (just to out-do me as usual). Good old Steve couldn't get a fish for love nor money. All of a sudden, his rod actually started bending. Could this be a fish? ... No ... of course not! It was just a toad!

post-4381-1226310754_thumb.jpg

A few minutes later, Steve's rod is bending again. This time it's a "huge" snapper! Steve was having "one of those days".

post-4381-1226310816_thumb.jpg

And no, I haven't Photoshopped it. It really was that big! :074:

A disappointing day really (fish-wise), especially for Steve. Syd ended up with three flatties, a feed for his family, and I got just the one. However, we did see two groups of whales, which always makes a trip worthwhile.

post-4381-1226310885_thumb.jpg

"Show-off Syd" proves how much bigger his flathead was compared to mine - something he constantly reminded of throughout the day!

Just wait till the next trip - "Peter's Revenge"! (Can anyone lend me a gold coin?) :074:

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Those little snapper can be a pain in the bum at the best of times.

Good looking flatties though, how big were they?

Josh

G'day Josh. The bigger, much ‘uglier’ flathead (Syd’s) was 53cm, and the much 'prettier', only slightly smaller 'classier' one (mine) was 47cm. (Syd's may have been closer to 55cm but I'm taking off a couple of cms because he constantly reminded me that his was the biggest! :thumbdown: )

When the crabs come on hard the flathead follow. The crabs are only just starting to pick up so the fishing will too soon.

Dave

I think they've already come on for you Dave after that 81cm flathead you caught! What a beauty!

Maybe that's what I need to do to get a great flattie - get the "crabs" :074:

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS