Live Bait Size (yakka)

Kruzenvax

Gday Kruzen,

The smaller the better. I've never had a king take a big yakka. If you can't get the little jellybeans I'd work your backside off to find a couple of squid or even sit and berley and try cube baits. Maybe a long strip bait from a yakka fillet on the downrigger?

Cheers, Slinky

Well in contrary...

I got the biggest yakka of my life one morning, it wouldn't fit in the bucket :|

I never seen one that big!! But anyway, wouldn't fit in the bucket so got him out straight away...

This king came from out of no where... bait was swimming out, so I seen it, he hit it and off it went I had absolutely no chance of stopping him on 30lb braid...

Particularly down the coast the bigger the better, so I can't see why it'd be different to here...

Big fish, big bait ;) However I know for tuna it changes so maybe...

Cheers

Ben

Kings can be very mercurial as to what baits they will attack. I hooked up a nice one yesterday on a 18cm yakka , unfortunately , it hooked around the anchor rope , and caused us no end of grief !!

From past reports , sometimes they go for squid , and other times (ie 24 hrs later ) yakkas are the go.

As for the "ideal" size , I dunno , Mars bars are good , but we have had good strikes on larger models as well .

Ross

I have gotten decent kingies on larger yakkas as well. We put a horse yakka out with a hook in its back just for fun not expecting anything (along side a candy sized yakka). The horse yakka got the kingie, the smaller yakka was untouched. Kingie must have been hungry.....

Guest Big-Banana

Big baits, big fish.

I've fished a good 30cm Yakka before and had it taken without a problem.

Kings especially, have the ability to have a real dig at bait and extend their mouths right open.

Guest Aussie007

does anyone have a clue where to find smaller yellow tail's? ive tryed botany bay at the dock wharf and clifton gardens in the harbour they all seem to be around the same large size from about 22-30cm

Mars bar size is good . But the larger the bait the bigger the fish . . . For the Big kingfish whole frigate mackeral or bonito live , would always take the huge fish . . . I was once told that the Kingfish they had in Manly aquarium were all caught using whole live Salmon around the heads . . . . I have had them eat 1.5kg snapper at the boat . . . Up the North coast or down south the larger fish are more common , but its all about trolling big baits on good tackle . . .

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

does anyone have a clue where to find smaller yellow tail's? ive tryed botany bay at the dock wharf and clifton gardens in the harbour they all seem to be around the same large size from about 22-30cm

Try in North Harbour-I've found small ones around some of the little beaches there near the start of the 4 knot zone. They aren't always there though.

Josh