50 Lb Braid Breaking

Osprey Rider

Hi Raiders,

I was given a roll of 50lb braid (wan't mention the brand but it is cheap) and I have put it on my spheros.

I have use an improved albright knot to attach a 100lb leader.

When I was setting the drag the knot would always fail at 8kg.

Twice the braid pulled through the knot and the third the braid broke at the knot.

I also used another another knot which I don't know the name of it, and I encountered the same problem.

Do you think it is the way I am tieing my knots or do you think the braid is just crap.

Cheers,

Osprey Rider.

Edited by Osprey Rider

I'm no expert on this but i've had the same problem with the same two line weights before and gave up. now i tie a double in the braid and just connect the double to the leader with a double uni. haven't had any strength or holding troubles doing this except the knot is probably alot bulkier than an albright and not very tip or runner friendly.

Both..crap braid and knots.

If your braid is pulling through you need to use more turns-its usually double what you would use for mono.

Just to confirm, you are tying a double in the braid and then albrighting the leader on. An albright will hold,else you can use a cairns quickie knot . Or you could just double the braid over itself and use that to tie a double uni knot connection.

Edited by caranx

Both..crap braid and knots.

If your braid is pulling through you need to use more turns-its usually double what you would use for mono.

Just to confirm, you are tying a double in the braid and then albrighting the leader on. An albright will hold,else you can use a cairns quickie knot . Or you could just double the braid over itself and use that to tie a double uni knot connection.

I used 10 turns for the braid and 5 for the leader.

I didn't use any doubles.

l think probaly the problem of knot. what kind of fishing u using?

(l am not expert) But cheap braid is not good, and people wash the PE line after using, keep the line long life.

However, l know people playing jigging fishing with a FG knot which is 100% grunatted ur leader line and briad to a maximun strength, but this knot need prastice a lot. Try to search it in youtube.

An u can try to tie it with a swivel too.

Guest Big-Banana

l think probaly the problem of knot. what kind of fishing u using?

(l am not expert) But cheap braid is not good, and people wash the PE line after using, keep the line long life.

However, l know people playing jigging fishing with a FG knot which is 100% grunatted ur leader line and briad to a maximun strength, but this knot need prastice a lot. Try to search it in youtube.

An u can try to tie it with a swivel too.

100% knot? Theres no such thing mate. Any knotting decreases the original strength of the line.

I've gone away from the Bimini and have moved onto the slim beauty now. Much much better.

100% knot? Theres no such thing mate. Any knotting decreases the original strength of the line.

I've gone away from the Bimini and have moved onto the slim beauty now. Much much better.

I would like to see a slim beauty is there a book or a website I could see this knot.