Jew On Plastic!

King slayer

Morning raiders,

I was looking at the tide charts last night and I just couldn't resist with a low tide just before day break..So when the alarm went off at 3am I was up, grabbed my gear and headed down to a favourite (secret) LB spot in middle harbour armed with two rods and plastics.

I set one rod out in the current on a paternoster with a squidgy fish and played around with a 7 inch gulp jerk shad, white with a 1/8th head in 5/0 size.

The set rod didn't get a look at, which didn't really surprise me, but I like to be in with a chance either way.

Not too long after some exploratory casts in a likely hole I get a tap-tap, then I slowed the retrieve down, and just twitched a bit...Then smack! I'm on and he feels pretty weighty. After a few short runs I had my eyes on the beast and I could hear him grunting as he came closer. Now this is snaggy, oyster territory so bringing in a big fish is always a bit of a worry, but i lifted him over the stones and up the bank, no probs. :biggrin2:

Very happy with this capture as he was 90cm, a shade over 6kgs. To top it off, my biggest fish EVER and my first jew on plastics!! :thumbup:

So I arrived back home just after six, when no more came on the bite and lovely wife is still sleeping. She prefers it when I fish while she sleeps! That way we both get to do our favourite things in the world :biggrin2:

Here are the pics

post-6713-1226697326_thumb.jpg

post-6713-1226701223_thumb.jpg

Good luck to all those on the water today, I wish I could get out.

Dave

Edited by King slayer

beautiful fish mate and top eating at that size too! I have been fishing bait my whole life and old habits die hard, but fishraider has inspired me to give the plastics a red hot go. My box, as well as another box is full of them and i only ever chuck them on for a few minutes and play around from time to time is it any wonder I have only nailed one very occasionally on plastics. considering the amount of times I have played with them I have done ok considering. I think its time to get fair dinkum! good on ya mate good fish and thanks for the inspiration.

Pete.

Well done King Slayer - you'll be changing your name to Jewie Slayer!! :) Top fish & great PB!!

I have yet to catch a jewie on lure ..... it is on my list!! Maybe I'll get my first one when Tide'n'knots/Pete comes up to Forster & we give the breakwall a go ....... I could use him to gaff my fist lure-caught jewie!!! I have been busted off by a few there on bait (when fishing for Bream!) One day .......

Cheers

Roberta

Thanks for all the kind words raiders, it was a proud moment.

Cam I was using 30lb braid and 2m of 40lb jinkai leader to a loop knot, It casts quite well with a little weight.

I've had a few go's with plastics for them now, and I'm definitely converted. Plastics are great and are so easy

to just grab and run to the spot.

Pete, I used to do just the same, but once I started using them seriously and sometimes for many hours on end, I have started learning a lot and each session gets better than the last. I now consider plastics to be one of, if not my favourite method of fishing. Still can't beat live baiting for kings.. I'll never give that up..

Dave

Hi King Slayer,

that sounds like a good morning session, back in the house by 6am and the wife still sleeping.!!

Well done; any hint of where you go for your sessions on the river??

cheers

Sails

I don't mind sharing the odd spot for roaming species, but I think Jewie spots are sacred, if only for the sake of the fish. But I'll tell you if you find deep holes up river in the skinnier sections and fish them at the tide change then an hour or more after, you'll be on the right track. Try to find an area where bait fish are common around the edges and the predators will be there sometime. I've had success at low tide, low light and in water that's a little (or even very) dirty after some rain.

Plastics work well cause they cover the ground and I've even pulled up very nice flatties when targeting jew on big plastics. I had one taken half a meter from from shore at my feet. the jew in the pic was only 2-3 from shore in the hole where he took the lure.

Dave

Nice work King Slayer getting a decent size jewfish on an sp. It would be worthwhile to keep jigging a soft plastic around under your jew rods. Work the sp up and down high and fast as though you're teasing an invisible jewfish a hundred yards away, close your eyes, feel for the sweet spot in your jigging action, and you'll get a big BANG :1yikes: followed by another BANG as your top denture hits the deck. :biggrin2:

Well done Dave :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: