Nepean Today

glennmreid

Got up at 4am today for a fish at Nepean Gorge. Got to the ramp at 5am, and I launched within minutes. Only a couple of boats around. Thought that I would try my siglett lure and see how it goes. After a slow start, managed only a couple of small bass. Had plenty of hits on the surface, but failed to hook up many times. In the end, only got the 2 small bass. Still, great fun on the water. My 2nd time freshwater lure fishing, and managed a couple of fish.

Got back to the ramp at 12.30pm. It was like peak hour. Boats everywhere, waiting to lauch or be retrieved. This in the middle of other boats on the pontoon who couldn't start their motors. One guy was on the pontoon for over 1 hour trying to start his motor, hogging 1/3 of the pontoon. Anyway, still a great day on the water. Just love getting out. Here are a few shots we took of today.

post-3324-1226821078_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1226821085_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1226821092_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1226821099_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1226821106_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1226821114_thumb.jpg

Nice report Glenn. Stick at it mate ... the numbers will come :thumbup:

There would have been some very choice words exchanged at the boat ramp I should imagine :ranting2::mad3::1badmood:

Cheers

Hodgey

There was a bit of boat ramp rage going on today. Me shouting a few kind words as well :074:

We were there late yesterday , it wasnt too bad , but I have seen it as you describe. Water is a very warm 24 degrees .

Ross

Hi Ross,

I did notice the water temp was around the 24 degree mark. Very pleasant. Would've thought the fish would be on the bite more.

Hi All

Just got back from the nepean myself - got 5 small bass including two that would have been just a little bigger than the lure. To be honest so far this season that's all I've gotten in the bass stakes - fish no bigger than 25cms max. A mate of mine told me apparently there is a broken/inaccessable fish ladder the water board are trying to fix up the Hawkesbury somewhere - anyone else heard this? Last year me and my mates picked up several decent size bass - not so this year. One of my mates got 8 in a session recently but no more than 20cms.

And you're right chopper - that boat ramp can be frustrating to try to access on a weekend, a mate of mine had a boat and it once took us about 1 and a half hours to get back in!

TG

Third time lucky, Glenn - your next bass should be a beauty!! Hang in there!

Roberta

Very true Roberta. The big one is just around the corner. This lure thing is very addictive. I can see why you love flicking soft plastics in the leases up in Forster.

we have caught a few (3) bass to 30cms at the weir but most of them are in 10-20cm size range especially the really small ones have been quite aggressive on our surface lures.

They are agressive the small ones. Where do you fish at the weir? Above or below the weir? I've fished below the weir and caught big mullet there. Any bass there as well?

for bigger bass try late or very early

but i too have not got one bigger than 30cm this season?

any bass is a good bass :thumbup:

cheers

bm

I was on the water around 5.30am. Alot of people who fished that day only got small bass. As you say, any bass is a good bass :thumbup:

i'm land based so only fish standing on the weir itself, although we have been doing some exploring and found a few spots we would like to throw a canoe or yak in below the weir, its impossible from land from what we can see. we actually found a very nice spot which we are pretty sure is relatively untouched so will spend some more time exploring it - had a lot of interest following our lures on the weekend but no takes.

i will let you know if it turns out what we think it will

i'm land based so only fish standing on the weir itself, although we have been doing some exploring and found a few spots we would like to throw a canoe or yak in below the weir, its impossible from land from what we can see. we actually found a very nice spot which we are pretty sure is relatively untouched so will spend some more time exploring it - had a lot of interest following our lures on the weekend but no takes.

i will let you know if it turns out what we think it will

looking forward to hearing your report