Big Fish For Bat On The 4 Play

captainbat

Hello All,

I had the pleasure over the weekend to fish with my old mate Capt. Brett Davison, Capt. Tommy Siebler from Hawaii and Ricky from the Flying Scotsman. Joining us also was Brett's son Greg and his friend Matty 'D'.

This was a purely social weekend with the intention to catch Greg his first marlin. We had 1 bite on the first day down near the bank but found the going a bit slow. On the second day we decided the head up north and managed to hook up this fish off St Crispans in the early afternoon. Greg did a great job on the fish and after 40 minutes or so we had our chance to get a tag into him. Unfortunately when I traced the fish the hook dislodge from his lower jaw and went back in through the roof of his mouth and entered the brain, killing the fish almost immediately. Sometimes things can and will go wrong in this game its a sad fact that we have to accept if we want to go out and fish for these big fish. I said to Brett there was no point leaving the fishing floating around for the tigers so we put it onboard, according to the formula with the length and girth measurements this fish is around the 700lb mark. It is a great fish, big congratulations to Greg, well done mate.

Cheers - Bat

post-2937-1226919360_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1226919392_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1226919423_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1226919462_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1226919504_thumb.jpg

Big Marlin. Sad that he went like this, but fishing brings that sometimes.

It is a shame mate, its the first billfish I've put on a boat since 2001 when I was over in the Maldives, where the crew took them back to their village and shared them with their (very large) family. Heavy Tackle can and does have a high mortallity rate, circle hook or no circle hook - up here when that fish is released there is always the very real possibillity that waiting just below is a couple of tigers looking for the tired fish. This is why so few recaptured tags ever come from Cairns as opposed to other heavily fished areas such as Pt Stephens etc.

Cheers - Bat

It is a shame mate, its the first billfish I've put on a boat since 2001 when I was over in the Maldives, where the crew took them back to their village and shared them with their (very large) family. Heavy Tackle can and does have a high mortallity rate, circle hook or no circle hook - up here when that fish is released there is always the very real possibillity that waiting just below is a couple of tigers looking for the tired fish. This is why so few recaptured tags ever come from Cairns as opposed to other heavily fished areas such as Pt Stephens etc.

Cheers - Bat

"Lord Barron Batsrum the third in capitulation and waiting" aka The Bat.. This name was given to my great friend one day at the continental shelf off Sydney. You see the Bat worked on Broady with me for ten years and no finer freind I have ever had, not to mention his deckhand prowess. In those days some ten years ago we set many standards to gether 18 marlin in a day 248 tagged in one season in '97 and had many great times and memories together. During that time we never intentionally killed a marlin, they were all released so I know that the Bat would have been disappointed when this old girl came up dead, but alas we are fishermen and it can happen sometimes . Great work Bat and good pics,

Ross

• 3 weeks later...

"Lord Barron Batsrum the third in capitulation and waiting" aka The Bat.. This name was given to my great friend one day at the continental shelf off Sydney. You see the Bat worked on Broady with me for ten years and no finer freind I have ever had, not to mention his deckhand prowess. In those days some ten years ago we set many standards to gether 18 marlin in a day 248 tagged in one season in '97 and had many great times and memories together. During that time we never intentionally killed a marlin, they were all released so I know that the Bat would have been disappointed when this old girl came up dead, but alas we are fishermen and it can happen sometimes . Great work Bat and good pics,

Ross

Hey Rosscoe, hows things old mate? Yes I was a bit sad with this one, particually as I was a good female, but as said things happen. The season up here this year was in a word - Fair. Not by any means the best but not the worst either. We had a great little Black season though and hopefully you and the raiders should have some joy down at Pt. Stephens in the new year - I hope you do, cheers - Bat

Hello All,

I had the pleasure over the weekend to fish with my old mate Capt. Brett Davison, Capt. Tommy Siebler from Hawaii and Ricky from the Flying Scotsman. Joining us also was Brett's son Greg and his friend Matty 'D'.

This was a purely social weekend with the intention to catch Greg his first marlin. We had 1 bite on the first day down near the bank but found the going a bit slow. On the second day we decided the head up north and managed to hook up this fish off St Crispans in the early afternoon. Greg did a great job on the fish and after 40 minutes or so we had our chance to get a tag into him. Unfortunately when I traced the fish the hook dislodge from his lower jaw and went back in through the roof of his mouth and entered the brain, killing the fish almost immediately. Sometimes things can and will go wrong in this game its a sad fact that we have to accept if we want to go out and fish for these big fish. I said to Brett there was no point leaving the fishing floating around for the tigers so we put it onboard, according to the formula with the length and girth measurements this fish is around the 700lb mark. It is a great fish, big congratulations to Greg, well done mate.

Cheers - Bat

GDAY BIG BAT

RICKO HERE GREAT FISHING REPORT THERE MATE TOP PHOTOS TOO KEEP THE REPORTS COMING

post-2937-1226919360_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1226919392_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1226919423_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1226919462_thumb.jpg

post-2937-1226919504_thumb.jpg