Solas S/s Props

David C

Gday David,

You will definately get more performance out of a Solas prop. They are specifically designed to improve performance on most outboards. The standard alloy prop will 'do the job' but that is all. Solas props will have a revised 'rake angle' and will have a nominal 'pitch' depending on what you want to do.

Without knowing what sort of motor or boat you have it is hard to tell what the improvement will be, as it will vary depending on this.

I will say this though a stainless prop for starters has less flex and will bite in harder than an alloy prop. An increased rake and pitch will give you more top end speed. If you didnt know already the rake is the angle at which the prop blades sit, and the pitch is the curvature of the blade. ie 17 inch pitch will propel the motor 17 inches forward in one revolution, etc.

Talk to Solas directly and they will give you the exact specs of what you motor will be capable of.Its worth it. :thumbup:

Solas claim they can improve v hulls especially. Johnson have strong gearboxes and will handle a beefed up prop spec. The idea is to match a prop to a motor so it will ride with as little amount of hull touching the water, therefore drag is reduced and top speed is increased.

I cant remember exactly but im sure there was a mag artical on the benefits of re pitched props in a recent mag, may have even been a Solas artcial. Could have been the last ABT Tour guide? Anyway I think you would see a definite improvement with a v-punt.

My info about vpunts is all theory David I have not personally tried a Solas on a vpunt, only tried other tinnies and glass boats and they were good. I have read a lot of info on them by independents and Solas themselves which is what I have mentioned here, they have also stated improvements especially regarding v punts.

There is quite a few guys here with vpunts surely someone has tried a Solas prop who can comment.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Although i can't comment directly on the Solas S/S props, i have a four stroke 50hp Mercury that had a standard alloy prop when i bought the motor. After changing to a higher pitched and more agressive Vengance S/S prop, the difference is quite noticable, more in the higher rev ranges. I can sit comfortably on 30 kts. It does not have the snappy acceleration that it used to have, but there has been an increase in top end speed and much better fuel economy.

LW

I have bought a couple of props from Steve at Solas. In my experience a nicer more helpful chap would be hard to find, he is a great to deal with. If you buy one and try it and it does not do what you want he will change it, all done via o/night delivery.

He helped me prop a couple of boats for fishing and water sking for the kids.

I also have bought a couple of his downriggers which he went to the trouble of fabricating mount posts to fit my rod holders. :biggrin2::thumbup:

Cheers, Terry