Weather Conditions And Jew

tide'n'knots

Hi raiders, just read a posting put up by zenman about a nice jew caught in MH and some comments made by jewgaffer made me realise that the jewie boys on fishraider really take into account wind, barametric pressure, tide, temperature, moon phases etc where as in the past I have just turned up at a spot I know has produced, and put a bait in the water and pretty much hoped for the best. Although I have had quite a bit of success this way, infact, I have caught more jew than some people ever hope to catch, my biggest fish is still only 25lb, a good fish but nothing like the 40 to 50 lb fish some peaple acheive. I have come to realise that maybe it is now time to learn a bit about this stuff if I want to maximize my chances of nailing a real big fish.

Any information on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and speak to me like you would speak to a 5 year old please, because when it comes to barametric pressure - I really dont understand anything!

thanks for your help, I look forward to picking your brains and getting some feedback on this subject.

Pete.

Hi Pete

Jewgaffer is a terrific bloke to read up on - he has numerous reports in Fishing Chat about tides, weather & barometer readings!

Go into Fishing Chat & down the bottom, in the 'search' window, just type in Jewgaffer & hit GO! Then check out any of the topics he as started ...... here is one he put up earlier this year

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=29603&hl=

His knowledge is 2nd to none!

Cheerio

ROberta

Another bloke to check out is Owzat (tho he hasn't been posting for some time now, but also has terrific tips!)

Check his in both Fishing Reports and Fishing Chat!

Happy reading!!!

Hi Pete

Jewgaffer is a terrific bloke to read up on - he has numerous reports in Fishing Chat about tides, weather & barometer readings!

Go into Fishing Chat & down the bottom, in the 'search' window, just type in Jewgaffer & hit GO! Then check out any of the topics he as started ...... here is one he put up earlier this year

Cheerio

ROberta

Another bloke to check out is Owzat (tho he hasn't been posting for some time now, but also has terrific tips!)

thanks roberta,

just read jewgaffers posting - your right he has a wealth of knowledge, I have never thought about wind direction before and how it can affect certain spots although having said that I have known for years that a southerly can put the fish completely off.

dumb question - how do you know if the barametric pressure is rising or falling? do you have to get this info from the wheater channel or is there an easier way to find out?

Pete.

Happy reading!!!

Hi Pete

Cheerio

ROberta

Happy reading!!!

Thanks roberta,

just read jewgaffers posting - your right he is a wealth of knowledge. i have never thought about wind direction before and how it can affect certain spots although I have known for years that a southerly can put the fish completely off the bite.

dumb question- how do you know if the barametric pressure is rising or falling? do you have to watch the weather channel to find this out or is there an easier way?

told you I dont understand this stuff!!!!hee hee.

hehehe With Xmas coming up ......put one on your 'wish list'! There is a fishing/yachting watch that has tides & barometric pressure (easier to follow than looking up a website!) ....... they can be a bit expensive tho! Casio has a few different versions. Check out their Aussie Website or look in most of the fishing mags - there is often a full page advert on the casio weather watches!

Roberta

hehehe With Xmas coming up ......put one on your 'wish list'! There is a fishing/yachting watch that has tides & barometric pressure (easier to follow than looking up a website!) ....... they can be a bit expensive tho! Casio has a few different versions. Check out their Aussie Website or look in most of the fishing mags - there is often a full page advert on the casio weather watches!

Roberta

unfortunatley it will have to be next christmas - julie has already bought me ac/dc box set!! yeh baby!

the fish will hear me coming at the boat ramp!

Hi Pete,

Roberta was right about Jewgaffer.

Iam a little surprised she did not mentioned Forster-Tuncurry breakwall.The best jewfish spot on the whole east coast, for 30 years about seven of our locals fishing at night just before the slack on high using back to back mullet strips,have been pulling in jew ranging from 30 -117lb, but as jewgaffer said you have to take a lot of conditions into consideration.by the way that 117lb was landed in may 78'.

Cheers Rick.

Hi Pete,

Roberta was right about Jewgaffer.

Iam a little surprised she did not mentioned Forster-Tuncurry breakwall.The best jewfish spot on the whole east coast, for 30 years about seven of our locals fishing at night just before the slack on high using back to back mullet strips,have been pulling in jew ranging from 30 -117lb, but as jewgaffer said you have to take a lot of conditions into consideration.by the way that 117lb was landed in may 78'.

Cheers Rick.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that big jewie would you :1prop: ?

Sounds like an awesome fish

Thanks roberta,

just read jewgaffers posting - your right he is a wealth of knowledge. i have never thought about wind direction before and how it can affect certain spots although I have known for years that a southerly can put the fish completely off the bite.

dumb question- how do you know if the barametric pressure is rising or falling? do you have to watch the weather channel to find this out or is there an easier way?

told you I dont understand this stuff!!!!hee hee.

Hi tide'n'knots. A lengthy reply post would be needed for me to answer these questions properly so I decided to address your questions within a new topic which I'll be posting up shortly .

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Rick

Would love to see the monster of the sea!!!! Let me know next time you are in town, fishing!!! Would also love to hit the wall with you (so to speak!!!)

I have been busted off by some monsters (not that big tho! :1yikes: ) when fishing worms on light gear on the Tuncurry wall but when I go back with heavier stuff, only get tiddlers!! :(

Cheers

Roberta

Hi tide'n'knots. A lengthy reply post would be needed for me to answer these questions properly so I decided to address your questions within a new topic which I'll be posting up shortly .

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

thanks jewgaffer,

I am looking forward to reading your post!

Pete.