Flyrod Weight?

troutboy

Hi all i am an experienced bait and lure fisherman who would love to give fly fishing a go. I mostly fish a small lake in the blue mountains for brown and rainbow trout, can anyone suggest an ideal rod weight,the fish are mainly in the 1 to 2 lbs bracket and i will be fishing/wading from the shore. Any info would be much appreciated. ps info on line types and weights would be great! thanks in advance troutboy :thumbup:

G'day troutboy, a 5-6wt fly outfit should do the job.

Not wanting to blow bubbles but when I was in ABA at Penrith on my last trip they had some good quality "start up" combos in stock.

I'm pretty sure someone there could help you out as well.

Good luck at the lake, I've only managed a couple of small trout on fly in there in my time although my brother had good success when he was still living up there.

Give Lake Lyell a go at dusk, it is one place where I have always enjoyed success on the fly rod.

cheers

Hooky

You get some good sized trout in the Coxs River, I have found this to be the case once you get to Kanangra Creek. They usually do the spawn run up from Warragamba Dam, that is when there is enough water.

In saying that, anywhere along the Coxs and it's tributaries seems to produce the goods. :1fishing1:

cheers

Hooky

Troutboy,

I've done a fair amount of fishing in Tassie for lake trout (and boy, is that a destination for the keen fly fisherman!).

We tend to use 5-weights for most of our fishing (although we’ve chased tailing trout in the shallows with 3-weights!). However, so much depends on conditions. If it's blowing a gale (as it often is in Tassie), you may need to go up as high as a 7-weight - just so you can still control your line.

However, if the spot you're fishing is relatively sheltered, fish as light as you can - you scare a lot less fish, and they're great fun on lighter tackle.

But if you want to pick a great all-rounder, go for a 5 or 6-weight, matched with a suitable floating line.

Edited by Sputnik

I have found that the better the quality of rod ie Lomus, you can go down one rod weight for the same result. For example a crapy brand 10 weight is equivalent to a 9 weight Lomus.

Having said that your talking $500 dollars + differance.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Gutsy

I too have just taken up Trout Fly Fishing and ended up with a 6wt Innovator Distance. Its mainly aimed at Lake Trout in the Snowy and Blue Mountains but will also suffice for the Streams and Rivers :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

I too have just taken up Trout Fly Fishing and ended up with a 6wt Innovator Distance.  Its mainly aimed at Lake Trout in the Snowy and Blue Mountains but will also suffice for the Streams and Rivers :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

33337[/snapback]

Hey Matt do you live in the mountains? we might have to have a fish sometime :thumbup:

I am in Sydney Trouty, in the Inner West but the Blue Mountain Lakes and Streams are close enough for me to head up there as often as I can. Admittedly I haven't done to much in the Blue Mountains yet but I intend to rectify that. In fact I reckon I spend more time in the Snowy Mountains than I do in the Blue Mountains, and they are an extra 2 hours away :risata:

I would be keen to come up for a fish one of these days though :thumbup:

PS, is the Innovator you picked up a Distance? Cause I get the feeling it may be the same as mine :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

Thanks very much guys, some great info to get me started. :biggrin2: I have just come into possesion of a 9ft 2piece 6/7w innovator rod(minus reel)would this do to start with until i can afford more appropriate rod and reel? Once again thanks for the help. :thumbup:

33350[/snapback]

That will definately not do, you need a vision fly rod. :thumbup:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...?showtopic=3620

A real bargain set up is the Gillies rod. I think they still retail for less than a hundred bucks, and they cast very well. Some very good fly anglers I know have bought them as back-up rods for their trips. The 5 weight casts a treat, and is all you'll need for a trout starter, match it to a nice cheap clicker drag reel, and spend as much as you can afford on a good line. Cheap rods and reels can be OK, but most cheap lines really hinder the learning curve.

There is also some Redington stuff around at the moment for good prices I have a RedFly 8f5/6wct its great for around trees still has good control and with BFR rimfly reel you can change lines with out fuss.I have 4 cassette type spools for the reel with 4 different lines.It cops a floging trout /bass/bream/flaties and carp boy they go.