hi all

went down thr wier for a quick flick

very quiet had a couple of half hearted hits moved up river

and second cast bang line starts peeling of the reel and im thinking carp

wouldnt be the first time that ive hooked a carp on a surface lure

then it turns and gives up the ghost and starts flaping on the surface

i slowly bring it in and get a look :1yikes: its a bass and a big bass

now the knees start to shack i have no net and 10lb trace rocks every where

and one clump of weed at my feet so i slowly glide the big girl onto the weeds and up the bank

:yahoo::yahoo::thumbup: i call out to a bloke flicking lures just up from me

and it turns out to be bluedog a couple of pics on his phone as i didnt take the camera :1wallbash::1wallbash: and watch her swim away

i measured her up next to my rod and when i got home i measured it

she was 49cm mabye 50cm my best to date as soon as i can get the pics off my phone ill post them

cheers

miller

heres the pics

post-2224-1227664989_thumb.jpg

post-2224-1227665056_thumb.jpg

Edited by miller

Hey raiders,

Firstly nice looking bass - very impressive!!

I have never really fished for Bass before but after reading many reports on this site I am definitely going to give it a go soon..

My question is it looks like most people release the Bass, are they not good to eat or a protected species...??

Thanks in advance for answering this as I have been thinking about it for weeks..

Cheers

MPM

Hi Miller,

There are plenty of people that have been fishing the Nepean for years and not pulled out the elusive 50cm fish including myself.

Well done mate on a very special fish.

Matty, you see the odd person cleaning a bass here or there but in my opinion there are much better eating fish around. I believe the bag limit is 2 also so not much of a feed.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I thought that might of been the case, they dont look like they hold much meat - Well the smaller ones anyway...

I agree with you Chopper... i have a freshwater fish tank at home with a barra, sleepy cod and archer fish and I definitley dont see myself tucking into a archer fish...!!!

Will post some pic's in the coming days of my tank... the barra is impressive - will smash anything you put in there and makes for a great party trick..!

Cheers guys, good luck on the water this weekend if you going to wet a line!

Matty

Thanks Mike,

I thought that might of been the case, they dont look like they hold much meat - Well the smaller ones anyway...

I agree with you Chopper... i have a freshwater fish tank at home with a barra, sleepy cod and archer fish and I definitley dont see myself tucking into a archer fish...!!!

Will post some pic's in the coming days of my tank... the barra is impressive - will smash anything you put in there and makes for a great party trick..!

Cheers guys, good luck on the water this weekend if you going to wet a line!

Matty

Looking forward to seeing your tank photos. I just set mine up last week. I have 3 bass, and 2 golden perch. Only small at the moment, but the bass particularly love their food. Will be interesting when they get a bit bigger and I introduce live insects. I bet they will smash them. The barra must be amazing. I can imagine what they would be like.

Was that your post the other day chopper with the pics of your tank..? Looks very nice...!

Mate when u get the insects happening its great fun, as you may know Archer fish actually spit water at the bugs which is pretty amazing to watch.. I hold the bugs about a inch above the water and most times I get squirted with the water..!!! :074:

The barra is great, trying to feed him slowly so he dosent get too big too quick but its too much fun watching him smash the live bait...!!

I put a smallish yabbie in the tank about a week ago to try clean up some of the crap off the bottom but came home the other day and his belly was huge...!!! - Yabbie gone in one bite!!

Will put a post up over the weekend so you can check my bad boy out..

Well done Miller on getting that terrific bass! Good to see there are still some good sized fish in the Nepean (assuming it is the Nepean!) My knees would have been knocking too!! THey have some real power, those big ones! The first Bass I ever caught at Glenbawn was 50cm & I thought I'd got a snag, so jerked the rod tip ..... it was only when it jerked back that I knew I had a good fish on!

Congratulations!

Roberta

Was that your post the other day chopper with the pics of your tank..? Looks very nice...!

Mate when u get the insects happening its great fun, as you may know Archer fish actually spit water at the bugs which is pretty amazing to watch.. I hold the bugs about a inch above the water and most times I get squirted with the water..!!! :074:

The barra is great, trying to feed him slowly so he dosent get too big too quick but its too much fun watching him smash the live bait...!!

I put a smallish yabbie in the tank about a week ago to try clean up some of the crap off the bottom but came home the other day and his belly was huge...!!! - Yabbie gone in one bite!!

Will put a post up over the weekend so you can check my bad boy out..

Yeah Matt, that was my tank you saw here the other day. Real happy with it. Looking forwatd to seeing a photo of the bad boy barra!

• 3 weeks later...

Well done mate,top fish.

Steve

nice fish, nice to know there are 50cm fish still to be caught

to the person asking if they are ok to eat

some people dont mind the taste, ive tried one from glenbawn but have had better fish to eat

the main reason is the nepean is a dirty cesspool tbh

over 50 treatment plants along its length, all the agriculture chemicals and effulent run off from the farms further up stream.

they say the nepeans total flow in non rain periods is 80% treated efulent, skiers are warned to not ski if they have open wounds