Transducer Mounting Location

Nolongeramember

Im fitting this transducer to the transom. Its a 600W for a Furuno 585. The instructions say the bottom left corner of the transducer is to be 3mm below the bottom of the boat.

What should I go by as the bottom of the boat? The flat part in the picture or the lower curved ridge?

126_2619.jpg

Roylo

Take the 3mm from the flat of the hull not the strakes.

BUT - You have a narrow gap between the strakes and there's a chance disturbed water from the strakes may cause you problems .

That particular transducer is a real pain to setup. Works extremely well when done properly but it is a hassle. I would strongly recommend you use one of the stainless adjustable plate type mounts. Costs about $30 will save you a lot of time and fuss. That way you can easily play to get the best reading.

Put it this way mine worked best with the edge about 5mm above the hull line and it took a lot of screwing around to get there.

Hope this helps

Chris

Im fitting this transducer to the transom. Its a 600W for a Furuno 585. The instructions say the bottom left corner of the transducer is to be 3mm below the bottom of the boat.

What should I go by as the bottom of the boat? The flat part in the picture or the lower curved ridge?

Roylo

I just made up this to try and help the transducer read at speed

post-4477-1228901801_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1228901819_thumb.jpg

post-4477-1228901834_thumb.jpg

Dont know yet, not takin the boat out until xmas.

Hey mate, isn't it the speed that stuffs up transducers not the water pressure surrounding it??? I'm not sure. I have to move mine too, get a massive roostertail from the back, reckon its mounted way too low, i've got a Humminbird 3dMatrix, bit finicky, too much detail half the time. Anyway, be interested to see if your plan works.

Tobe

Hey mate, isn't it the speed that stuffs up transducers not the water pressure surrounding it??? I'm not sure. I have to move mine too, get a massive roostertail from the back, reckon its mounted way too low, i've got a Humminbird 3dMatrix, bit finicky, too much detail half the time. Anyway, be interested to see if your plan works.

Tobe

I cant lay claim to the idea. The guys at furuno told me that when they have a problem with a transducer reading at speed they fill between the hull and transducer with sikaflex and smooth it off. Iam just modding there idea. I understand some transducers need to be lower and that they cover them to reduce the rooster tail?

I cant lay claim to the idea. The guys at furuno told me that when they have a problem with a transducer reading at speed they fill between the hull and transducer with sikaflex and smooth it off. Iam just modding there idea. I understand some transducers need to be lower and that they cover them to reduce the rooster tail?

Ah! really. I like the idea of that, would save me having to move it, and I'm a waterproofer so got heaps of sikaflex, never had a leak in my boat once :thumbup: