Kingy Fun On Saturday

King slayer

Hi Raiders,

Me and mate Brett took to the water on Sat morning with one squid from the day before which had been soaked unsuccessfully for jews. Only managed two squid in the morning, they were a little frustrating at first, but as we were seeing splashes around the moorings and with all the reports of late we took what we had to the markers, but stopped on our way to 'the secret reef' where we normally get livies.

Just for the sake of trying I put out an unweighted squid head to float while we try for livies. The yakkas were there but shy to bite and we only got one. As I jigged for the livies, the first king for the day took the squid and also our first king on the secret reef (55 cms-released), which was pleasing...Now to find a jew there....we knew it had potential!

Any way so we took our squid out to the markers and threw unweighted baits and stick baits as we drifted past. this worked really well and we had a few double hook ups and a few bust offs too, but boated another 5, the biggest two were 60cms, but a lot of fun!

After a lazy breaky at the wharf as per usual we grabbed another two squid in three casts and decided to head out around north head.

Tried a technique newish to us which is to tow baits on a simple running sinker rig around the washes -poor mans down rigger- , we have down riggers, but find this technique to be effective and with less fuss if the baits don't need to be very deep.

So soon after dropping the only yakka over the side on the 24kg out fit (we heard there might be some monsters about), the rod goes off violently and I grab it and get stuck into the 79cm model below. The trick bugger tries his best to reef me and nearly did a few times. the reef was only about 3-4m below and so it made for a tense fight, leaving me with an empty beer (only one I had..swear!) and shaky hands.

pics, below.. all in all great day in the sun on the best harbour in the world.

Dave

post-6713-1229203293_thumb.jpg

post-6713-1229203309_thumb.jpg

post-6713-1229203376_thumb.jpg

post-6713-1229203389_thumb.jpg

Hi dave,

Nice kingie for the table.

Yeah mate i would be trying that little reef with live or strip baits on low tides.

I havent been out for awhile since finding a bolt rolling around in my outboard cowling.

Gotta find were its come loose from.

Cheers

Nice work Dave.

If that secret reef is where i think it is we've done really well on slimies there before with the odd yakka and squid taking deep baits which have got us a few kings.

Good to see there are still some sized ones in amongst the rats.

Cheers

Josh

Hey Braddles,

They were all over, we just tried at each marker with un weighted fresh squid for only two drifts before moving on if there were no hook ups. In one case we got them on every drift so anchored up and got into them for a another 15 mins before they just moved on. I also noted that we were the only ones at the marker each time and we could see over to other more popular markers, with boats all round and no one hooking up! Might be something in that.. I also noted that when next to the markers the baits with even a little lead were not being attacked. In the end I find it pays to just move all the time when going for kingies. They do come along if you wait but finding them can be more effective than waiting, also more fun!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...