How To Use Cunjevoi?

Dlai

Hey raiders,

I was gathering my own bait for fishing off the rocks, and tried some cunje, except I dont know if I am using the correct part. I used the redish meat that is attached onto the innerwalls of the cunje.. if that makes sense. That part seemed to be tougher and would stay on the hook longer. Is this the right part to use?

Also, some other questions:

How much should I use, is there a legal limit to how many I can take?

How should it be presented?

What type of fish does cunje attract?

And unrelated to cunje..how do you catch those bait crabs! As soon as I go near, they go into their little cracks where they cant be touched! :ranting2:

Hey raiders,

I was gathering my own bait for fishing off the rocks, and tried some cunje, except I dont know if I am using the correct part. I used the redish meat that is attached onto the innerwalls of the cunje.. if that makes sense. That part seemed to be tougher and would stay on the hook longer. Is this the right part to use?

Also, some other questions:

How much should I use, is there a legal limit to how many I can take?

How should it be presented?

What type of fish does cunje attract?

And unrelated to cunje..how do you catch those bait crabs! As soon as I go near, they go into their little cracks where they cant be touched! :ranting2:

Hi Dlai,

The red meat inside the cunji is the right part to use, just cut a piece of it off, put through the hook couple of times and present it flat and nicely, then toss into the water and waiting for the hit.

There is a bag limit of 20 for using cunji. but that should be plenty for a good section. berley up with bread and some nice drummer will be on the chew.

Most of the rock fish will take cunji. drummer loves cunji whole a lot. 1/0 hook is my choice for drummer. groper takes cunji as well. but it usually got taken by other fishes before a groper sees it. You will also catch millions Kelpfish on cunji. Those pests generally take anything you throw into the water and i'ts dam hard to get back the hooks as they usually swallow the whole thing! :wife:

for crabs, you can buy those crab net from any fishing store. Those round and statium shaped one. get some pilchard or any smelly fish put into a stocking and crush them, then chuck into the net with some rocks to keep the net sit nicely underwater, toss it in some rock holes and wait for retrieve. There is also a bag limit of 10 for red rock crabs, so mind your takes.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

dreaflym

Thanks dreaflyn, the cunje info helps a lot.

But, i was refering to those small crabs, that you can use for bait. I think they are little blue swimmers?

yea...those crab net are for bait crabs. most of the time you will be catching black crab and red rock crab over any rock structures. they are good for groperfishing. you can also reach those crabs at low tide when searching small gaps, holes round at rock ledge. specially low tide at night. just shoot your torch light towards them and grab them quickly, they don't move much. But take extreme attention to the mother ocean when searching for those crabs at night. always have your mate looking at your back, and don't go at big sea, there is no point.

cheers.

Edited by Dreaflym

Hey mate

The other guys have pretty much got it covered but one more thing, take the cunji over a larger area and not just in one patch. As cunji has suffered major blows from over taking. So yeh when collecting for bait don't take from one patch take from several so as not to leave bare patches, it takes years to grow back.

Cheers

Steve