Suggestions To Modify My Trailer For Easier Loading

Holmesie

Hi Raiders,

I'm seeking some suggestions as to how to modify my trailer for easier loading. I have a 5.4m Quintrex aluminium half-cab, which goes on the trailer as pictured below. Basically it's a PITA to load straight, particularly in a cross-wind or current.

I bought some plastic skids to replace the carpeted ones, but then thought since I've gone to the trouble to take the boat off the trailer, should I be thinking bigger and going multi or wobble rollers and maybe convert to a drive-on setup?

Since I live in the sticks I tow the boat fairly long distances (on average roads!) to get to water, so don't want to risk hull damage if that's a possibility with a multi-rollered setup.

Anyone's opinions or ideas would be very welcomed.

Cheers

Holmesie

IMGP2646Large.jpg

IMGP2647Large.jpg

Hi Raiders,

I'm seeking some suggestions as to how to modify my trailer for easier loading. I have a 5.4m Quintrex aluminium half-cab, which goes on the trailer as pictured below. Basically it's a PITA to load straight, particularly in a cross-wind or current.

I bought some plastic skids to replace the carpeted ones, but then thought since I've gone to the trouble to take the boat off the trailer, should I be thinking bigger and going multi or wobble rollers and maybe convert to a drive-on setup?

Since I live in the sticks I tow the boat fairly long distances (on average roads!) to get to water, so don't want to risk hull damage if that's a possibility with a multi-rollered setup.

Anyone's opinions or ideas would be very welcomed.

Cheers

Holmesie

IMGP2646Large.jpg

IMGP2647Large.jpg

Have a look at the uprights behind the rear wheel. This definately contains the boat when encountering wind or current. It also assists the retreiver in having something to hang on to.

post-7255-1229727363_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mariner

There is a device called a Retrievamate which consists of a couple of spring loaded arms, with some models coming with a centre roller. They bolt on the back of the trailer. I had the same problem and found the device to work a treat. The boat always goes on straight - no matter how strong the cross-wind or curent or how crooked the boat is to start with.

There is a device called a Retrievamate which consists of a couple of spring loaded arms, with some models coming with a centre roller. They bolt on the back of the trailer. I had the same problem and found the device to work a treat. The boat always goes on straight - no matter how strong the cross-wind or curent or how crooked the boat is to start with.

I think we had something similar put on our grandpas trailer, but it was like a v shaped entrance at the back of the trailer that made sure it went on straight, that had rollers as well. But if you're winching it up then as long as you can get the front of the boat on with something like the v shaped guide then you should be sweet.

Ours just has 4 bunks and i can easily launch and retrieve it on my own, even if you get blown out a bit, if you get your bow onto the bunks the boat will straighten as you drive up the trailer.

Maybe look at some good straps for when travelling across bad roads.

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

I did buy a Retrievamate, but could not see how to fit it as my boat sits with the transom basically level with the back of the trailer...

IMGP1382Small.jpg

Mariner, those rear upright guides might help me :biggrin2:

Edited by Holmesie

post-6655-1229738197_thumb.jpgi went down this road a while back and started playing with a vee set up

the thought was to extend the runners adout a 2 feet and on a angle down ward stightly

then run a flat bar to the rear roller from the extended skid in a vee pattern with a nylon strip pop riveted to the flat bar

it all became a pita and i played with the small skids[witch you do'nt have] and found a new method off reteval that solved the prob

but i will have to adress this prob for solo trips

the pic is off the net and is a spring loaded version i think and after thinking it through it would be easyer to fab a new frame and change over all the running gear

i hope this helps but remember any mods you do to the trailer have to be bolt on or your up for a re gal

witch makes it not cost efective

cherrs mate gary