How To Do It? Bass Fish!

Gazrob

Hi all, only new but have followed this site for ages. Anyhow, mainly fish for flatties around Bris Waters but as I live 10 mins from Penrith have been thinking of bass fishing but haven't got a clue how i.e. rod, lures, where to target, etc. My young daughter loves to fish as well but don't know anyone that does fishing. Any tips or where to find them greatly appreciated. Top sight this. Have looked at plenty of others but this is the one for me

Gazza

Hi Gazza,

Mate anywhere along the Nepean river is good for bassin at the moment, most of the guys use surface lures for both early in the morning and late at night.

During the day i find that throwing shallow running hard bodies works or even plastics on light jigheads will get the small ones.

A heads up if you topwater fishing go with mono as flurcarbon leaders tend to sink and restrick the action of the lure.

Hope this helps you out and good luck with the bassin with your daughter. :1fishing1:

Thanx Snag. Any tips on what hardbodies for a beginner and line strength.

mate i been bass fishing once a few weeks ago and used my bream gear. bought like 10 different bass spinners etc i got from several tackle shops that week but caught and landed the only bass (and my first and only so far) on a little sinking popper which the young guy at a tackle shop (i wont name) tried to convience me in not getting as he said it would never work on bass...... hehe it worked.

if anyone can post the pics for me???:)

cheers damien

At the moment ive been using Atomic hard bodies in the shallow diving model also spinnerbaits and any small minnow type lures.

As for line class i use 6 to 8lb leaders with 6lb fireline...im sure 6lb or 8lb mono will also surfise.

I will admit i prefer the nepean water to be clear when i go fishing for bass, im not a fan of the dirty water after a rain even at liverpool weir......the clearer the better.IMOA.

Mate for hardbodies i use taylor made lures they are awesome bass lures as for line class i use 4-8lb braid and 12lb nitlon flurocarbon leader hope this helps.

P.S Send us a PM whenever you wanna go for a bass fish at the nepean river as i will be glad to show what its all about

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

• 2 weeks later...

i've only started bass fishing the latter half of 08 and spent pretty much my whole time fishing the nepean above the narrows. i don't have a big selection of lures at all mainly kokodas in the wee waa shallow, the bat and also the bugger chug. i've caught on all of those lures.

i go as light as i can for gear as it is more fun. the bass hang around submerged weed and structure like rocks and trees that have fallen in the water. i've heard that fishing the nepean for bass is more successful in the afternoon but i've actually caught more fish in the mornings, for what it's worth.

bass fishing is great fun, i've always been mainly a trout fisherman but for something close to sydney you can't beat the nepean for bass. they aren't big but they hit hard and fight hard. almost like a poor man's barra fishing.

good luck!

Hi all, only new but have followed this site for ages. Anyhow, mainly fish for flatties around Bris Waters but as I live 10 mins from Penrith have been thinking of bass fishing but haven't got a clue how i.e. rod, lures, where to target, etc. My young daughter loves to fish as well but don't know anyone that does fishing. Any tips or where to find them greatly appreciated. Top sight this. Have looked at plenty of others but this is the one for me

Gazza

Hi guys,

can anyone give me advise?I'm thinking about fishing bass from the banks with a flyrod,is it possible?if yes, so which parts of Nepean river can have the best access?or maybe some other rivers have the better access from the bank?

Thanks,

Gid

Hi guys,

can anyone give me advise?I'm thinking about fishing bass from the banks with a flyrod,is it possible?if yes, so which parts of Nepean river can have the best access?or maybe some other rivers have the better access from the bank?

Thanks,

Gid

i hear that there is some great fly fishing for bass although i've not done it. i've just recently bought a trout fly setup which i think will fit well for some bass fly fishing too. we often go up the nepean past the narrows in the boat and cast hard bodies. when i get the hang of casting flies i'm thinking of taking the fly rod up there and cast from the boat.

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Gid

Use matukas a floating leader and cast upsream stripping back downstream toward yourself go below the wier at penrith and use this method and see how you go.

Use matukas a floating leader and cast upsream stripping back downstream toward yourself go below the wier at penrith and use this method and see how you go.

Thanks maybe I'll try upcoming week i think.Is it possible to wade there?or is too deep?

Are you talking about the weir which you can see from Greatern Western Hwy?

Gid

Edited by Gid