Mona Vale Flatties 21-12-08

spic

Hit ramp at 5.00am I wasn't sure what to expect weather wise after that blow on Sat and didn't think we would get outside but it was calm and headed out to Bangalley Head in search of Kings and found absolutely none. No surface activity anywhere, anyway stocked up on Yakkas and decided to head out to Esmeralda only to be gretted by those ravenous buggers yes Leather Jackets and big buggers as well, the one on the photo went 52cm. Man I dislike these fellas especially when you can see a good show on the sounder and these fellas are sitting above them. Just can't get to the fish. Moved around a bit but couldn't escape them and decide to see if I could get a feed of flatties. Finally found them and were quite thick but only in a very small area. All good size fish ranging from 40-65cm

All in all a great day on the water and a great feed what else could one ask for!

post-1492-1229891808_thumb.jpg

post-1492-1229891826_thumb.jpg

Tight Lines

Vic

Edited by spic

OMG Vic!! That haul will feed an army!! :1yikes: That's a huge leatherjacket too! A good day on the water.

Cheerio

Roberta

Well I had quite a few hungry mouths to feed when we got back, funny how the friends and family seem to time their visits with my fishing trips :o

We copped the big jackets off Long Reef on Sunday as well but found very few lizards. The conditions were great but the fish were not biting apart from the leatheries. Fishing in 60 metres plus, the sinkers felt a lot colder than the 20 degrees reported surface temperature. Just before Xmas, we normally we take home a good haul like the ones in the photo but this year we have done much better overall in the cooler months. Such is fishing!!

Hawkesbury Dave - Spic's catch was legal and well within his bag limit. All flatties caught by anyone, from the smallest to the largest, are "potential breeders" so your comment is not only rude but also completely nonsensical.

Spic - great catch and congrats to you. Clearly you had to work hard for the lizards but you found em in the end! I'm jealous thinking of all the tasty fillets you and your family will be enjoying over the coming days.

Did you just drift until you found them, or do you have a more 'scientific' method for finding the schools?

that is a great catch perfect eating size no large breeders there between 3 people thats only 6 fish each

i have worked on trawlers that would trawl every day [weather permitting] and get 50 to 100 baskets of flathead each day so i dont think vic is slowing down the breeding of these fish in my bookpeter :1fishing1:

Hawkesbury Dave - Spic's catch was legal and well within his bag limit. All flatties caught by anyone, from the smallest to the largest, are "potential breeders" so your comment is not only rude but also completely nonsensical.

Spic - great catch and congrats to you. Clearly you had to work hard for the lizards but you found em in the end! I'm jealous thinking of all the tasty fillets you and your family will be enjoying over the coming days.

Did you just drift until you found them, or do you have a more 'scientific' method for finding the schools?

Thanks for clearing that up for me I was just about to.

Yes it was a hard day no current and the water temp down there is still very cold.

There was some planing put in to finding these, sometime ago I purchased a few seafloor topography maps that by different colours diplays the type of bottom. There is one particluar small gravel patch that I've been meaning to try for a while and this is where we picked up all the fish. The drift is a very short one approx 20mt.

Edited by spic

Seafloor topography maps eh?

That sounds extremely sensible - I might have to enquire after these with Tony at Fishfinder.

I have the map on my plotter but I'm refering to a few hard copy maps that I purchased. The detail is fantastic and shows depth as well.

I'd be keen to hear if there is an electronic version that displays the floor in different colours!