Best Rig For Kings

petkovd2006

I fish with a double snell hook with yakkas in Botany Bay.

Sometimes I think using two hooks deters the Kings. Anyone else have this problem.

I use 60pd leader about 1.5m and the gap between the hooks on the yakka is about 12cm. Maybe they can see the loop between the hooks.

Couple of days ago they wouldnt touch the livies but were hitting dead baits like prawns on our lighter gear whilst fishing for trevors.

[

Personally I would use a single hook rig either snelled or whatever knot you please as long as your confident with it (I use a snell). Just put a 4/0 -8/0 through the yakkas back or nose if there's current and you shouldn't have a problem with hook up rates. Hence not having to use a double hook rig.

If the kings are a little shy try using fluoro carbon or alternativelty drop down size or both. And in regard to the kings not hitting livies I guess some days they prefer certain baits over others it's all about matching the hatch and mixing it up until you find out what they're after. It could of also been because they were line shy, only way to find out is to throw a livie on the lighter line and see what happends.

Edited by nosliw

You could try leaving the stinger hook free swinging. I hooked a king on the free stinger the other day! I think this lets the livie swim freely. Plus I've found lately that although yakkas will get hit, it will be less often than fresh squid but will on average the fish will be bigger.

Edited by King slayer

For livies - tie a snap swivel to the main line, then add one of those sinkers with a swivel to the snap swivel. For the leader i tie it to a swivel which is also connected to the snap swivel ... this seems to eliminate most tangles for me and its very easy to change leaders or sinkers ... and i generally usea at least 1M of 60lb flouro.

I then use a lure/loop knot for a single live bait hook (4/0 to 8/0 depending on size of bait) which is placed in the yakkas shoulder.

I find i very rarely miss any hook ups with this rig ... except of course when the tailor move in!!!

Edited by daleyboy

For livies - tie a snap swivel to the main line, then add one of those sinkers with a swivel to the snap swivel. For the leader i tie it to a swivel which is also connected to the snap swivel ... this seems to eliminate most tangles for me and its very easy to change leaders or sinkers ... and i generally usea at least 1M of 60lb flouro.

I then use a lure/loop knot for a single live bait hook (4/0 to 8/0 depending on size of bait) which is placed in the yakkas shoulder.

I find i very rarely miss any hook ups with this rig ... except of course when the tailor move in!!!

Thats an interesting rig set up.

I was thinking more along the lines of a running sinker. My concern is whether or not two hooks or a single. Ive has success on both, but seem to get less hits when double snells are used.

I might try the lighter line approach next time I but a double snell out.