Which Lure? (new To Lure Fishing)

BTK

hey all

this is my first post in the Fish raider forums although ive been reading for a while :biggrin2:

I was thinking about starting to try some Lure fishing down at my local lake in Summerland Point and i know of a shallow weed bank where ive caught some nice fish before on bait and i was wondering what type of lure people would suggest for this environment? and also what the best time of day is to do the lure fishing.

Thanks in advance for any answers :thumbup:

Oh and P.S. i will be trying the lure from the Land if that means anything

....this is my first post in the Fish raider forums although ive been reading for a while :biggrin2:

I was thinking about starting to try some Lure fishing down at my local lake in Summerland Point and i know of a shallow weed bank where ive caught some nice fish before on bait and i was wondering what type of lure people would suggest......

.....Thanks in advance for any answers :thumbup:

......Oh and P.S. i will be trying the lure from the Land if that means anything

Hi BTK :1welcomeani: To Fishraider! There are a lot of lures on the market to chose from and I'm sure you'll get good advice from the members on the hi techs that are getting the best results. ...... It would be a good idea to do a search and see what our gun fishos and our pros recommend, and you will find that some sp/s and harbodies are recommended more times than others.......

Stocking up on lures can be an expensive excercize and in my opinion it would be better to narrow it down and only buy lures that have the most recommendations and go from there...... Otherwise it is easy to go shopping and finish up with have too many lures that you won't use after finding that others are getting better results..,..

If you are fishing shallow sandflats it would be better to fish with hardbodies that also perform well in weedy areas.......

If I had to chose just one hard body lure for where you will be starting off your lure fishing, that was value for money and available in a good range of sizes and colours, believe it or not I would chose the freshwater lure the Tasmanian Devil that has been designed for trout..... I found the Tassies that worked best in both salt and in freshwater were the clearer colours and the brighter colours for clearer water and bright days, and the darker colours for darker water, rippled water and shady areas.... I was advised years ago to add the colour white to the underside of Tassie Devils by an older relative who had a lot of experience with fishing hardbodies in both freshwater and saltwater.... I used to glue small white chicken feathers to the undersides of my Tasmanian Devils as a further attractant.... I was speaking to one of our members, Roberta, a while ago and she mentioned that she was told that reversing the wings creates more disturbance and action in the water, I haven't tried reversing the wings and replacing the wire myself but coming from Roberta, I will try reversing the wings the next chance I get to fish for flathead.

Flathead are genetically geared to lie in wait for mullet and fry and it's noticable that lure fishermen are getting better results by covering more ground with lures than bait fishermen are getting waiting in the one spot for flathead to happen come along.. in fact lures can be swum as good as fish these days and fish attractants are often added.

I fish for flathead in areas up north that are not suitable for jewfish, and although I try other harbodies, I always fall back on Tasmanian Devils as a good general purpose saltwater lure as well as a renowned freshwater lure..... As the saying goes, the grass is not always greener on the other side and compared to other hardbodies it costs very little to give Tasmanian Devils a go and you'll find they are good all rounders to have in your tackle box.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

hahaha thanks for the thumbsup Byron!! I must try my tassie devils in the lake here! :)

You have hit it right on the head, Byron when you say .....narrow it down and only buy lures that have the most recommendations and go from there......

HI BTK :1welcomeani::1welcomeani: to Fishraider

Like some other Fishraiders who I won't mention ........ I must have hundreds of lures that probably haven't even seen the light of day yet, some still in their packets! Lots of them 'bargain bins' ones! Should have kept my $ & put them towards recognised 'fish catchers'!

Then I have my 'favourites' that I use over & over & over again, because they catch fish! I really do believe that the fish get used to some lures & they can become ineffective.

They can be expensive, so would recommend you tell your family to give you vouchers to a tackle shop for Xmas & birthdays instead of what 'they think you may like!' That way you can slowly build up some quality lures.

I am enjoying success just now with some hard body lures - SX40 is one of them. Shallow diving chubby (the caramel coloured one with darker stripes over the back & sides) is good too. Just now, I am getting whiting on Sammys too - the clearer ones or with a bit of colour on the back is good. Just fish them slow (except the sammy for whiting - go faster with him!) They all cost about $20 each, so make sure you use a stronger leader at first (about 12lb mono miniimum) till you get the hang of them. Don't want to lose one straight off to a big pike or something!

What sort of rod & line are you using? I only started catching when I downsized my main line to 3-4lb braid & 12lb leader. The lighter lures (eg SX40 & chubby) can be difficult to cast on heavier gear.

Good luck

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

For a shallow weed bank during this time of year I'd go a River 2 Sea Bubble Pop. Nice easy to cast and won't get caught in the weed. Easy to fish with a slow blop blop pause retrieve and should score bream whitting and flathead in the shallows and surrounding sand patches. Just cast as far as possible and bring back at different speeds till you crack the pattern on what the fish want that day.

G

Thanks for the replies everyone i really appreciate it, its great to get some guidance from people with knowledge =D

i only just started fishing again after a long break so at the moment im overwhelmed by the amount of lure you have to select from in a tackle shop but im mainly getting into some beach fishing so the lure fishing is on the side :biggrin2:

Anyway as for what rods ive got i dont have a big selection as most of my gear was given away when i stopped fishing, for smaller rods ive got an over head Ugly Stick which is better for the boat but ive also got just a cheaper set up 5'6" rod with a cheap eggbeater type reel on it so ill be using that i think unless someone has some other suggestions because i can borrow alot of rods and reels from a mate of mine if needed.

i have a few lures that i may be able to use so i may post a picture later tonight with what i have and maybe someone could identify one that might be usefull if any of them are.

Also Roberta About the line im not sure whats on the reel ill be using but i think it may be due for a change anyway so i might go with the set up you mentioned if i actually get into the lure fishing more.

Picture041.jpg

This is just some old lures i got out of my tackle box and i havent really experimented with any of them and i dont think any of them would be usefull for what i want to do, but i might be wrong so if anyone has any ideas if any would be worth using for my situation then i will get some new hooks on it and stuff and give it a go, Thanks :thumbup: