Striped Marlin

Guest Jocool

As some of you may be aware, NSW Fisheries, through The Recreational Fishing Saltwater Trust, who oversee the monies from out liscenses, had a report commisioned on the economical viability study of the Striped Marlin Fishery in NSW waters. The results of that report have been submitted a while ago. But state Fisheries decided to sit on it for a while!

What this study has found, and details in the report in no uncertain terms, is that the Striped Marlin fishery is more economically viable as a Recreational fishing species, rather than be targetted by the commercial sector. According to the report, it is worth nearly 10 TIMES more to the state of NSW as a rec species! :1yikes:

This will come as no surprise to the anglers that chase Mr Stick Face. You put more money into the economy than any commercial fisherman could ever dream of contributing to the economy! :thumbup:

To that end, The Fishing Party will be submitting a petition to both sides of government, requesting that there be a ban on the commercial fishing of Striped Marlin. This will mean that ALL Marlin species would be banned from commercial fishing.

For those that are interested, I will have a petition to be signed at the Fishraider Social. Alternatively, once they have been finalised, I will be able to post them here for everyone to have a copy. :thumbup:

Joe, since NZ banned the commercial Marlin fishery in our 200 mile economic zone the Rec fishery has gone crazy and there are facts to prove it. As NZ banned the commercials in 1987 I think .there has to be almost 20 years of data collected since then that you may be able to use in your argument.

It may pay to just do a few internet searches....cant hurt.

....here is some informaton you may find interesting its from a charter operator but it does give some interesting facts.

http://www.primetimecharters.co.nz/marlin.htm

cheers, Clutch

If any would like to read the FULL 124 page report.... go here.... www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/rec/pdf/EY%20Report.pdf

Its worth a staggering $112,442,374.00 to the NSW econmy, and keeps 905 people in work! :1yikes::1yikes:

Edited by Jocool

Ken, I watched a fishing show last week at the Three Kings - Islands off the North of NZ= and they tagging with those new expensive tags, I'm sure they take the water temp daily as well. They hear nothing from the tag until it pops up to the surface after 6 months and then it starts unloading via satellite.

What I thought was interesting was they tagged one in NZ and 32 days later it was caught again in Vanuatu. Because they are migratory I guess our banning of commercial fishing in someways benefits your commercial fishery :thumbdown: