Nats Support Rec Fishermen - Tide Is Turning

BIGFISH

REES MUST REJECT EXTREME GREEN MARINE PARK GRAB

Leader of The Nationals Andrew Stoner today called on the State Government to reject the plans proposed by the National Parks Association (NPA) to ban recreation fishing completely in their latest effort to create more marine parks.

Today’s Daily Telegraph states that the NPA wants five new marine parks and the extension of one park, leading to 215,880 hectares of NSW locked up in marine parks. The NPS is demanding complete fishing bans within a 70,000-hectare area.

Environment Minister Carmel Tebbutt has referred the report to the NSW Marine Parkes Authority.

The move to lock up vast areas from fishing is an outrageous attack on a traditional Australian pastime enjoyed by people of all ages,” Mr Stoner said.

It is an extreme action by an extreme conservation group.

This latest demand is a massive threat to local economies in towns like South West Rocks, Batemans Bay and Laurieton which have strong tourism industries underpinned by recreational fishing.

The marine park grab around Sydney would lock thousands of families out of an enormous area of 103,150 hectares, encompassing all the best fishing spots around Sydney.

This move will lead to cheap imports of seafood from Asia, where the quality and superiority may not be up to the NSW standards.

There are already strict bag and size limits in place for recreational anglers, and studies undertaken by the Commonwealth Government have unequivocally found that recreational fishing has a negligible impact on local fishing stocks.

Given NSW Labor’s past form in kowtowing to extreme green groups in pursuit of election preferences, this is a clear and present danger to a legitimate pastime enjoyed by Australian families.

Nathan Rees must rule out this latest plan for fishing bans immediately – otherwise the ‘fun police’ are taking over the NSW recreational and commercial fishing industries.

The solution Nathan Rees and Carmel Tebbutt must consider is more fisheries inspectors and better education programs, and not more state-wide lock-outs.”

REES MUST REJECT EXTREME GREEN MARINE PARK GRAB

Leader of The Nationals Andrew Stoner today called on the State Government to reject the plans proposed by the National Parks Association (NPA) to ban recreation fishing completely in their latest effort to create more marine parks.

Today’s Daily Telegraph states that the NPA wants five new marine parks and the extension of one park, leading to 215,880 hectares of NSW locked up in marine parks. The NPS is demanding complete fishing bans within a 70,000-hectare area.

Environment Minister Carmel Tebbutt has referred the report to the NSW Marine Parkes Authority.

The move to lock up vast areas from fishing is an outrageous attack on a traditional Australian pastime enjoyed by people of all ages,” Mr Stoner said.

It is an extreme action by an extreme conservation group.

This latest demand is a massive threat to local economies in towns like South West Rocks, Batemans Bay and Laurieton which have strong tourism industries underpinned by recreational fishing.

The marine park grab around Sydney would lock thousands of families out of an enormous area of 103,150 hectares, encompassing all the best fishing spots around Sydney.

This move will lead to cheap imports of seafood from Asia, where the quality and superiority may not be up to the NSW standards.

There are already strict bag and size limits in place for recreational anglers, and studies undertaken by the Commonwealth Government have unequivocally found that recreational fishing has a negligible impact on local fishing stocks.

Given NSW Labor’s past form in kowtowing to extreme green groups in pursuit of election preferences, this is a clear and present danger to a legitimate pastime enjoyed by Australian families.

Nathan Rees must rule out this latest plan for fishing bans immediately – otherwise the ‘fun police’ are taking over the NSW recreational and commercial fishing industries.

The solution Nathan Rees and Carmel Tebbutt must consider is more fisheries inspectors and better education programs, and not more state-wide lock-outs.”

Rees's Days are numbered untill the next election any move to implement this is cutting thier own throats so let them try do it.

Rees's Days are numbered untill the next election any move to implement this is cutting thier own throats so let them try do it.

Raiders,

A man who I do trust, although he is a polly is Duncan Gay. I worked with Duncan prior to the last elections and he gave an undertaking in writing that his government, the coalition (Libs) would review all Marine Parks before locking out recreational angling. Unfortunately these idiots we have running the state now retained power abd look where we are at now..He has just been appointed Shadow Fisheries Minister for the Nats and that's the best news for recos. We are meeting soon and I will keep you advised as to the outcome. I am most confident that there will be a positive approach favouring rec. anglers ...More news soon

Ross

Raiders,

A man who I do trust, although he is a polly is Duncan Gay. I worked with Duncan prior to the last elections and he gave an undertaking in writing that his government, the coalition (Libs) would review all Marine Parks before locking out recreational angling. Unfortunately these idiots we have running the state now retained power abd look where we are at now..He has just been appointed Shadow Fisheries Minister for the Nats and that's the best news for recos. We are meeting soon and I will keep you advised as to the outcome. I am most confident that there will be a positive approach favouring rec. anglers ...More news soon

Ross

Raiders,

I was listening to ABC radio this morning on the way to work and heard Duncan Gay interviewed about the NPA proposal. He is definitely against the NPA proposal and is a man we can trust. His quote (paraphrased) was that there is no scientific evidence for what is being proposed and the last thing we want to do is exclude recreational fisherman. The experience up the coast has been devastating for rec fisherman and communities and it hasn't done a thing to protect our environment or fish stocks.

He is speaking alot of sense! I think we have a good advocate that is displaying some logic, putting some commonsense into this ludicrous proposal and is demonstrating leadership that you would expect from an elected member of our community.

I'm sure it's probably already been said, but I'm very frustrated by the fact that the NPA are called the NPA. It sounds and is presented as if it were some sort of official or officially sanctioned body. It would be like us calling ourselves something like Australian Fisheries Management. It's misleading and gives credibility to the opinions of a group of partisan zealots that they don't deserve.

Don't think there's anything much that can be done about it other than making sure we point it out wherever possible. Just needed to vent!! :1badmood:

Cheers, Slinky

I'm sure it's probably already been said, but I'm very frustrated by the fact that the NPA are called the NPA. It sounds and is presented as if it were some sort of official or officially sanctioned body. It would be like us calling ourselves something like Australian Fisheries Management. It's misleading and gives credibility to the opinions of a group of partisan zealots that they don't deserve.

Don't think there's anything much that can be done about it other than making sure we point it out wherever possible. Just needed to vent!! :1badmood:

Cheers, Slinky

I don't think your idea is that far of the mark. The problem with the rec fishermen is that there are too many bodies, rec fishing alliance, ansa, rfa, etc... if all these groups could be placed under an umbrella of one professional sounding body we would be an almighty force.

The 2 poll results alone have raised more than the eyebrows of the pollies. Tebutt has washed her hands and done a "pilot" also stating that there are other ways to manage the fishery other than marine parks, the shooters party are starting a camping for the fishermen and now the nats have clearly stated their intentions. The trick now is NOT TO LOSE MOMENTUM and actually we need to attack existing marine parks with proposals of our own so that we have a say.

I have re-iterated this point on numerous occasions 450,000 fishing licenses and now with sites like the raider we are linking with thousands of like minded people through the internet. Organisation is all we need and I believe that is not far away. If nothing else this marine park issue has polarised the rec fishermen into action rather than lethargy.

Keep the rage going

cheers

steve