Decent Beach Reel?

BTK

hey everyone

I dnt really have a clue about reels or anything but i was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent cheaper style reel for my beach rod as the one i am currently using is just a lend from a mate of mine.

Cheers

Cory

hey everyone

I dnt really have a clue about reels or anything but i was wondering if anyone could suggest a decent cheaper style reel for my beach rod as the one i am currently using is just a lend from a mate of mine.

Cheers

Cory

how much is your budget? how long is your rod? and what line is it rated

ive got an older rod so ill have to have a look at the specs on that, but im starting to think i might be better off getting a decent combo instead of buying a reel seperatly.

hi mate,

l got a shimano ultrega 10000 which the capacity can hold for 220 yards of PE6 .

l think it is perfect for ur rod as it is design for surf casting.

If u interest, PM me and l can offer u a cheaper price as l dont always use that reel.

It is real smooth .

cheers

terry

Hi mate,

I've heard that Alvey's are the best option, but I use a couple of eggbeater reels so I can interchange between boat rods and beach rods. The important thing is to get a reel with a large spool for easy and longer casting and make sure you full the spool right up so the line flows off the spool easily.

I use a Penn 8000 with 300 mtrs of 50lb braid, but started with a Diawa 6500 Emcast with 200mtrs of 20lb braid (for sale).

Whatever you buy I wouldn’t go lower than a 6000 spin model for beach fishing and you need to keep the reel out of the sand. That's why Avery's are the best because of the simplicity of the design and less moving parts with a wide spool for easy casting.

12ft rods are better than 10ft rods and a 8 - 10kg will catch most fish including Jewies. But you may go lighter if your targeting Bream and whiting.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...